Thursday 27 February 2020

Top Tens: Ten European Bands Colin Hopes Come To The UK In 2020


One of the biggest pleasures I've had over the past few years is discovering the plethora of talent in the European punk rock scene. Whenever I've found out about a brand new brilliant band, I've made sure to tell anyone who would listen about them. Sadly, due to recent government legislation following Brexit, the likelihood of a lot of those bands being able to come over to the UK after this year is extremely slim. This makes me sad. I decided to make a list of my top ten bands I'd like to see come over before 2021 when the new legislations comes into play.

(I haven't included bands that I know are already booked to come over this year.)

Arterials
Hamburg's Arterials were one of my favourite new discoveries from Booze Cruise 2019. I was mesmerised by their live performance and bought their album Constructive Summer immediately after their set. Arterials play a fantastic style of intense pop punk with brilliant gruff vocals. I don't believe the band have been to the UK before but, with a new album released on April 24th, now seems like the time to do it.

Dorkatron
Austrian Ramonescore band Dorkatron are one of the most fun bands I've discovered over the past couple of years. Playing fast pop punk songs about not being cool, there's such a brilliant humour about their music but it's also as catchy as the flu (but in a good way). There isn't a massive Ramonescore scene in the UK sadly but these guys would certainly entertain everyone who would get to see them live.

For I Am
Belgium's For I Am have been to the UK a number of times over the years so it would be nice for them to come back one more time before the Brexit transition period is over. For I Am's Hanne Terweduwe has one of the very best voices in punk rock and I sadly have never been able to catch them live when they have come over. I want to rectify this. One of Europe's finest pop punk bands.

Jet8
Czech skacore act Jet8 were one of my favourite bands at Level Up 2019. Combining intense skate punk with an energetic brass section, they blew everyone in the New Cross Inn away. They are a great example of a European band coming to the UK without much of a fan base and showcasing just how good so many of the bands in Europe are, if people were to make the effort to listen to them. Jet8 recently released a brilliant new album named Chasing The High – look out for a review coming soon.

The Overjoyed
The only time I've ever seen Greece's The Overjoyed was when they played New Cross in 2016. I didn't know who they were and only went along to the show to see the other bands. I came away with a new favourite pop punk band. Their last album, Aced Out, was very close to making it into my top ten albums to 2019. Go and listen to it if you haven't already, you won't regret it. I know the band are hoping to get back to the UK this year, fingers crossed they can make it happen.

Quitters
I had the absolute pleasure of seeing French indie punk rockers Quitters twice when they came to the UK for a tour with The Run Up in 2018. Emma and I travelled from Bedford to Bristol on my birthday just to see them and they did not disappoint. They're great on record but being able to see them play songs such as Why Should We Burn Our Lives? and The Brighter Shades Of Time live was something else. The band are recording a new album in April so hopefully they'll be able to get back to the UK before the year is out.

Stöj Snak
Denmark's Stöj Snak are probably the band on this list who have come to the UK the most due to their affiliation with TNSRecords and Make-That-A-Take Records. The folk punk band are one of the finest bands I've ever seen live. They have this ability to grab an audience's attention with a raw yet magical live show. Whether playing softly or with a ferocity that matches the angriest of hardcore acts, you simply can't take your eyes off Stöj Snak. Another act with a new album due in 2020, here's hoping a UK album release tour is planned.

Tiny Voices
Formerly known as Wank For Peace, this French melodic hardcore band recently reunited as Tiny Voices. They have stated that WFP is dead and Tiny Voices will be playing completely new songs. If they are anywhere near as good as their previous band’s material, it's going to be wonderful. WFP made numerous trips to the UK so let's hope Tiny Voices are able to come over and show us what they're all about in 2020.

Überyou
Überyou were without a doubt the best live band I saw in 2019. I'm fortunate enough to be able to see them again in Hamburg for Booze Cruise this year but they're so good live I just want many more people in the UK to witness the experience that is Überyou. I've never seen a band connect with a crowd like this Swiss five piece did. They have this incredible sound that just empowers anyone listening. For me, they're one of the most vital bands in worldwide punk scene at the moment.

Worst Advice
Worst Advice are a new band to me since discovering them after they were announced for Hamburg Booze Cruise this year. As soon as I listened to them I knew they were a band for me. The Germans are a relatively new band on the scene but look to make a name for themselves quickly with some fantastic pop punk music. It's that wonderful, fists-in-the-air, shout along at the top of your lungs style that's just the best. A new favourite for me and I want to see them as much as possible.

This top ten was written by Colin Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment