Wednesday 10 February 2021

Top Tens: Incisions’ Top Ten Punk Rock Influences


Manchester-based hardcore band Incisions are set to release their long awaited second album on 2nd April. The album, titled Bliss, is being released on TNSRecords and you can pre-order it, and read more about it, on their website now.

And, while you wait for the album to be released, you can check out the band’s top ten influences below:

JORDAN

Poison Idea
I love everything about Poison Idea. I try and bring them up at some point with every person I meet. ‘Feel The Darkness’ is the place to start if you’ve not heard them before but the further you dig the more riffs you will fall in love with, the music is always so fast and heavy. A great balance of political fury and raw emotion spewed out by one of the best hardcore vocalists of all time. Not that hardcore vocalists are highly regarded in my experience.

John Reis (Rocket From The Crypt, Hot Snakes, Drive Like Jehu)
John Reis is the man behind so many amazing bands and, in my opinion, is deserving of one of punk’s many subgenres all by himself. Frontman and guitarist for Rocket From The Crypt, punk rock and roll with brass but NOT ska and one of the best live bands you could ever watch. He’s also behind pioneering post-hardcore/emo band Drive Like Jehu. I finally caught Hot Snakes on tour last year, another incredible band, and the way Speedo plays a guitar is just insane. I always adore his guitar tone whichever band he is playing in but watching him as lead guitarist for Hot Snakes just took my head off. I also strongly recommend The Sultans and Night Marchers, two more bands he fronts. Absolute legend.

MARTIN

Steve Albini
Noise rock is my go to for guitar playing style. I grew up more immersed in the heavier side of the spectrum rather than punk. As I got older I realised how silly/contrived metal and its scene can be so immersed myself in noisy, dangerous sounding bands that didn't have or need that daft metal aesthetic. I could name SO MANY bands of this genre that have influenced not only my music tastes but my style as a guitarist but they all seem to have one common factor – Big Ste. Whether it's him and his guitar playing and shouting in Shellac and Big Black or his absolute joke of a list of seminal albums he's recorded with artists such as The Jesus Lizard, Slint, Pixies, Fugazi, Tad, Nirvana, Neurosis, Melt Banana, Godspeed You…, Metz… His left-wing political views, his opinions, artistic integrity and musical independence; it's safe to say that he is probably my most influential personality in music.

ALDI Galahad Premium Lager
£2.05 for four 440ml cans. Not too strong (anything stronger than this and I'll have my trousers in a carrier bag in about an hour), genuinely tastes better than other 4% lagers (I have done a taste test). After 4 cans of anything it all tastes the same anyway (except Carling, in which case I’d rather drink Tet’s urine). A throwback to my late 90s youth, when a tenner could get you piss your pants drunk and you'd still have change for 10 Lambert and a chip barm. Quantity AND Quality.

ARCHIE

Dillinger Four
Anyone that’s had more than three drinks with me has probably heard me blabber on about how much I love this band. For me, they’re the perfect punk band. They write smart songs that tread a thin line between high brow and low culture. Poppy and melodic enough to sing along to but with enough underlined hardcore sensibility to pack a punch. I’ve always admired the way they approach politics in their lyrics, avoiding cliché slogans or preachy moral antics (not that there’s anything necessarily wrong with that kinda stuff). I feel like there’s a simplicity to D4’s music that has been imitated endlessly but, in my opinion, never truly matched.

2000AD
I’ve probably been into comics since I learnt to read (possibly longer). Like most kids of my generation, I got into it through American superhero stuff, then some time in my early teens I discovered 2000AD and all of a sudden men in tight spandex seemed to lose its appeal. For anyone that doesn’t know, 2000AD is a weekly British sci-fi anthology, born out of the late 1970s punk rock era. Unlike many of the glossy, well kempt titles of its time, this comic dealt with troublesome anarchic anti-heroes and disguised political satire through larger than life science fiction settings. With its ultra violent imagery, dark humour and overtly anti-establishment tone, 2000AD blew my thirteen year old mind away and I’ve been reading it every week since.

TET (ANDY)

Brandon Barnes (Rise Against)
My first influence would be Brandon Barnes from Rise Against. A lot of my early music influences I heard from my brother, who I owe a lot of thanks to, and it was Brandon's playing where I first was exposed to blastbeats and the driving power the groove gives (my brother and I used to call it the Rise Against Groove, as it is used a lot throughout their music). Rise Against's albums up to and including Endgame were basically on a constant repeat on whichever Walkman phone I had at the given time, and will always stick with me with how they influenced my pre/early teens into my early 20s. Brandon’s playing isn't just fast playing, but playing what the song calls for, and that’s what separates a great drummer from a fantastic one.

Barnsley
My other influence that I want to highlight is my hometown – Barnsley. Now, I get a lot of stick for being a Barnsley lad, and the town has seen its ups and downs, but it's these same ups and downs (mostly downs) that has spurred my disdain for the Tories and what their actions did to our town. A town decimated by one action and has limped through ever since, but despite this, Barnsley has some of the nicest, caring, considerate people that I have ever met. Barnsley is not without its issues, and I have heard that colloquialisms have changed since I moved from Barnsley, but the town that I grew up in will always be a part of me, and not only influences my anti-Tory political positions, but also my accent.

BAND PICKS

WIGS
Always funny. We have an impressive amount of wigs and they regularly come out at gigs.

Toast of London
We use a lot of Toast of London references to insult and entertain each other and other people we meet who often have no idea what we’re on about.

Like Incisions on Facebook here.

No comments:

Post a Comment