Wednesday 25 November 2020

Album Review: Alright by The Hype Pathetics


The Hype Pathetics are a three piece band from Denver, Colorado. Having only formed in the autumn of 2019, the band is already on their second release. In February they released their first single Red On White and then in August came their three track EP Alright. This is what we’re reviewing today. The Hype Pathetics play catchy, fast paced indie pop punk music and I’ve absolutely loved them for a couple of months now.


Six Pack is the first of the three songs on Alright. The song bursts into life with a shout of “4-5-6 Pack” before we are greeted with simple garage punk guitar riff and then lead singer Paul Bowers’ vocals come in. Bowers sings with a higher pitch that immediately catches your attention. On Six Pack, the vocals do most of the work when carrying the melody of the song, this is another thing that really pulls you in. The verse is pretty speedy in itself but when the chorus comes in things really get fun. The track is about having fun and getting drunk at punk rock gigs. I’m tee-total so I can’t really relate to the getting drunk but I do love having fun at punk rock gigs. Up next is Heart Attack – a song that injects you with energy from the very moment it starts. It has this great quality that has you wanting to get your boogie on. Flipping things around from the opener, on Heart Attack the chorus is the slower tempo section of the song and the verse is where all the energy comes from. The song is about being hyperactive and people not accepting you for the way you. The energy from the music really reflects the overall meaning of the song. I really enjoyed that. The third and final song is the EP’s title track, Alright. This was my favourite when I first listened to the EP. The Hype Pathetics again had me dancing like a silly sausage in my chair and having the time of my life. This may be a bit of an exaggeration but I was having a very nice time. This is one of the catchiest and most infectious songs I’ve ever heard. It’s extremely simple and repetitive but I don’t believe I’ve had more fun listening to a song in a long time. The song is about trying to get in touch with someone and hoping that they’re okay.

There is a good chance that The Hype Pathetics are my new favourite pop punk band and I beg you all to go and check them out, make sure they get huge and find their way to the UK so I can see them without having to get on a plane. Thanks very much.

Stream and download Alright on Bandcamp here.

Like The Hype Pathetics on Facebook here.

This review was written by Colin Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment