Thursday 28 March 2019

Top Tens: Emma’s Top Ten Bands To See At Manchester Punk Festival 2019


I don’t know about you but after last year’s Manchester Punk Festival I feel confident in declaring that MPF is the best weekend of the year. Colin and I snapped up super early bird tickets for the 2019 edition of the festival the minute they went on sale – not letting the fact we were in a different time zone [in Japan] stop us – and have been getting increasingly more excited with each and every announcement that the MPF team have for us. The final line-up features 137 band across three days. In order to filter through these and decide who I definitely, maybe or, alas, don’t want to see I have listened to each and every band. Here are my top ten picks for MPF 2019.

Pardon Us (Friday at Zombie Shack 16:30–17:00)
This Liverpudlian pop punk trio are a band that I’ve been wanting to see on the MPF line-up for a few years now – in fact, I’m fairly certain I’ve requested them myself on the feedback form once or twice. I saw Pardon Us live once, down south, two or three years ago and absolutely loved their fast-paced and jolly performance but haven’t been able to see them again since. Their 2017 self-titled EP is pure goodness. I’m sure, at least I hope, they’ve been working on new stuff since then so I look forward to finding out.

Stöj Snak (Friday at Brickhouse Social 17:30–18:15)
Stöj Snak, from Aalborg in Denmark, play captivating, honest and raw folk punk. Probably the artist I am most excited about seeing at MPF 2019, Stöj Snak was also my absolute highlight from a previous MPF and so I know just how good Niels Sörensen and his band are. With instruments ranging from acoustic guitar to double bass and a washboard, this is not your typical punk band but the energy that comes from their performance could easily rival any hardcore band – not least because Niels himself is also in a hardcore band. I’m looking forward to hearing the songs from last year’s EP live as well as, hopefully, some newer stuff as I know the band are working on a new album. 

Faintest Idea (Friday at Gorilla 18:50–19:30)
I’ve seen Norfolk ska punks Faintest Idea at two previous MPFs and look forward to making it a hat-trick this year. As a TNS band, it sort of feels like a hometown show for the band and I have no doubt that the crowd will again welcome them with open arms. It’s hard not to be impressed by the band’s lively, unrestrained performance. You certainly won’t be able to stand still during their set – whether through dancing or being knock around in a pit. 2019 could well be the best Faintest Idea MPF set yet.

Authority Zero (Friday at Gorilla 19:50–20:40)
The MPF team have completely outdone themselves with headliners this year. People thought they couldn’t top Propagandhi but there’s 88 Fingers Louie, King Prawn, Subhumans, Snuff, Smoke Or Fire, Samiam, The Creepshow and, the ‘big’ band who I am most excited to see, Authority Zero, headlining across the Easter weekend. Are there any other bands out there that sound quite like Arizona’s Authority Zero? The band blend upbeat, danceable reggae and ska with melodic, fast punk rock seamlessly to create some of the best tunes of the last twenty odd years. Plus, Jason DeVore’s voice… wow.

The Hard Aches (Saturday at Gorilla 14:30–15:00)
I hadn’t really properly listened to Adelaide, Australia, two-piece The Hard Aches before they were announced as playing MPF 2019 – I also didn’t realise they were a two-piece until I started writing this. I knew the name however and so as soon as I saw that name on the line-up I had to check them out. I instantly liked what I heard and have been listening to the band a lot in the run up to this year’s festival. Needless to say this I am very keen to see this emotion-driven punk band live for the first time in Manchester.

The Bloodstrings (Saturday at The Bread Shed 17:50–18:30)
Another band that I knew nothing about prior to them being added to this year’s festival, The Bloodstrings are a psychobilly punk band from Aachen, Germany. The full MPF 2019 line-up is definitely a lot more varied this year as there a fair few bands that fall into the ‘psychobilly’ sub-genre of punk rock. This is not a sub-genre I know a great deal about but, after listening to the MPF 2019 playlist, I can confirm I am a fan of this sound. From what I’ve heard of The Bloodstrings, I’m expecting a lively and energetic set.

Jake Martin (Sunday at Brickhouse Social 15:45–16:15)
I missed out on seeing Jake Martin live last year supporting Gaz Brookfield in my hometown of Milton Keynes because I had my wisdom teeth out on the same day. As much as I wanted to see these two solo acoustic guys, I was in no fit state to do so. Jake’s EP 1,555 Syllables That Mean Everything was one of my favourites from 2018, particularly for its lyrical content, and I’m very much looking forward to singing along to his songs at MPF. The Almost Acoustic stage is one that definitely should not be overlooked as some of my favourite sets from past years have been in this intimate and stripped back setting.

The Mighty Bossmags (Sunday at Zombie Shack 17:20–17:50)
I don’t know much about Warrington’s The Mighty Bossmags – although Colin did review their album Curio Cabinet in 2017 – but if I was to sum them up in just one word I would say that they are ‘peculiar’. Their sound is described as an experimental and bizarre potion concocted of ska, swing and funk. Sounds pretty unique, huh? Well, I genuinely think they are that unique which is why I just have to go see the band live – plus I totally dig their horror meets pirate tunes. I can’t even begin to imagine how crazy a Mighty Bossmags set is but I’m certain to find out in April. 

Joe McMahon & The Dockineers (Sunday at Brickhouse Social 18:10–19:00)
It’s a pretty big deal that American punk rock legends Smoke Or Fire are reforming and playing MPF 2019, right? I will more than likely be going to see Smoke Or Fire on the Saturday night but I’d be lying if I said I was more excited to see them than their frontman Joe McMahon’s solo project. I was lucky enough to catch Joe McMahon and his, then unnamed (as far as I’m aware), band at Fest in Gainesville, Florida, back in 2016. The album Another Life which was also released that year was one of my top records of the year. Definitely a must-see for the Sunday of the festival.

The Burnt Tapes as The Menzingers (Sunday at Rebellion 23:00–23:00)
I encourage you to check out a Sunday night Menzingers covers set courtesy of The Burnt Tapes (who aren’t actually playing the festival otherwise). The Menzingers are one of my favourite bands of all time and The Burnt Tapes are one of my favourite London-based bands – the combination is going to be incredible. This is a set that all of the CPRW team are excited about.

Obviously these are just my personal top ten picks, there are plenty of other bands appearing at MPF 2019 who I am also keen to see – assuming the schedule gods are kind! Who are you most excited to see this year?

If you haven’t got your ticket yet, get on it now!

This top ten was written by Emma Prew.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Emma! Just wanted to let you know the Well Wisher that is playing this fest is not the active one from NJ. It’s the defunct band from the UK: https://wellwisher.bandcamp.com/album/summer-gangs

    Hopefully the active Well Wisher will be making our UK debut soon! Thanks for checking out the music.

    ReplyDelete