Thursday 7 September 2017

Top Tens: Lucias of Call Me Malcolm and 24 Hour Punk's Top Ten Punk Rock Influences


Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights
A friend got given Keasbey Nights and Reel Big Fish’s Turn the Radio Off in the halcyon summer days of ‘99. It was the first ska/punk we’d heard. By Christmas I’d set up my first ska band called Hey That’s My Bike. We weren’t good enough to cover any of the songs on either of the albums, but we listened to them enough on the basis we’d acquire talent through osmosis.

Reel Big Fish - Turn The Radio Off
Derryck (trombone/vox in Call Me Malcolm) and I have been having the same argument for 17 years. Which RBF album is better, Radio or Why Do They Rock So Hard? I maintain the former. I am, of course, correct.

Goldfinger
Officially, the band I rip off the most. In the good ol’ days, a perfect blend of punk and ska. During part of their stage show at the London Astoria, I once got invited up to join them during Mable. I made the mistake of trying to hug Charlie. The look he gave me unambiguously conveyed his feelings about me; “I don’t know what that is, but I know I’m gonna break it.” I regret nothing.

Therapy?
I listened to Therapy a lot growing up. One of the first bands I was in used to cover about half the songs on Troublegum. In later life I tried to sing like Andy Cairns. I failed.

Bill Hicks
Hicks was a genius. His outlook occasionally creeps into our lyrics and song titles. If you’re not familiar, check out his “It’s Just A Ride” speech at the end of Revelations, one of the finest pieces of modern day philosophy.

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
As a skater and punk fan, the soundtracks to the THPS series were, as the cool kids say, my jam. Goldfinger, Bad Religion, Zebrahead, Lagwagon and Millencolin all found their way into my album collection thanks to these games.

Bon Jovi
Bon Jovi were entirely the reason I started playing guitar. They were my first gig. My first musical love. Absolute giants!

Hey Brother... Can You Spare Some Ska?
Following the Reel Big Fish and Catch 22 obsession, a friend of mine chucked me a couple of ska/punk mixtapes. I didn’t ask questions, I just devoured them on loop until the tape wore out. Years later I found out they were the Hey Brother... Can You Spare Some Ska series. Jeffires Fan Club, Cherry Poppin Daddies, The Hippos, Mad Caddies… so many great bands!

Metallica
If Richie Sambora was the reason I started playing guitar, Metallica were the reason I wanted to play loud. They were the band I ripped off almost as much as Goldfinger.

Pop Music
True fact. I don’t necessarily listen to it (though if Girls Aloud plays you’d best clear a path to the dance floor), but there are certain songwriting principles used in pop music that just work.

24 Hour Punks have a special gig coming up where they will write, rehearse and play a set in 24 hours. This is all in aid of AMMF. Check out all the details on the gig here.

Stream and donate to 24 Hour Punks debut EP here: https://24hourpunks.bandcamp.com/releases

Like 24 Hour Punks here: https://www.facebook.com/24hourpunks/

Like Call Me Malcolm here: https://www.facebook.com/CallMeMalcolmBand/

No comments:

Post a Comment