Wednesday 22 November 2017

Top Tens: Jeff from Expert Timings' Top Ten Punk Rock Influences


1. Descendents 
When I was in 3rd grade my neighbor's older sister had a copy of Somery. I had no idea what I was listening to but I knew it was different. It sounded raw and chaotic but was still catchy and full of hooks.

2. Slingshot Dakota
Tom and Carly are from the same small north eastern punk rock community that I had the amazing luck to be around in my formative years. Seeing them continue to work hard, make amazing music and be genuinely caring and authentic people is truly inspiring.

3. That Dog
After becoming obsessed with Weezer in high school I learned about the similarly great band That Dog. Their record "Totally Crushed Out" has the most blown out guitar sound.

4. The Weakerthans
Listening to the weakerthans opened my mind to how important lyrics are. John K Samson is a master story teller whose words paint vivid pictures.

5. Nirvana
When I first saw the video for Heart Shaped Box I was watching MTV waiting for them to play any Michael Jackson video and it scared the shit out of me.

6. Green Day
Having been a fan already, I bought a copy of Insomniac the day it came out. The kid working at the record store told me about an upcoming show at the local college. I convinced my dad to take me and the whole show blew my mind. This was the first time I ever thought to myself "I really wanna be in a band".

7. Okay Paddy
Combining 60s pop hooks with the 90s guitar vibes of bands like Pavement, Okay Paddy are one of my favorite bands of all time.

8. Dismemberment Plan
Synths, weird time signatures and super complex drum parts. What's not to love?

9. Saves the Day
In 11th grade I had 2 CDs in my car. Through Being Cool and Stay What You Are.

10. Piebald
Piebald taught me that music can be meaningful, poignant and unapologetically fun all at the same time.

Check out Expert Timing on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/experttimingband

No comments:

Post a Comment