Tuesday 15 December 2020

Colin's Top Ten Albums and EPs of 2020


I think it’s fair to say that 2020 hasn’t been a year with much to look back on too fondly. The Coronavirus has brought the world to a halt, people have died, people have lost jobs and businesses, and the world seems more divided than ever at a time when we should be coming together. The world of music has been hit as hard as any other industry due to bands not being able to play gigs or, in a lot of cases, even be able to meet up to practice. For a lot of bands, plans to get back into a studio to record new music has either been severely delayed or just cancelled all together.

I think it’s also fair to say that, because of what’s happened in 2020, it’s been difficult for a lot people to have the enthusiasm to check out new music. It’s been a mentally tough year for everyone and people have preferred to go back to old favourites that they find comfort in rather than going out of their way to find new bands. Personally, when I’m struggling I find a comfort and excitement in going online and discovering lots of new bands from the world of punk rock. I think 2020 has been a mega year for new music. Frankly, I’m surprised I’ve managed to find so many great new bands considering the restrictions in recording and playing shows. When we first started to think about our end of year lists there was a lot of worry about being able to pick ten new releases that you think are worthy of a top ten list. I ended up with a shortlist of about twenty five albums and twenty EPs. I also had to cut out a few splits as the decisions would have been far too difficult to make. As with every year, I’ve put far more thought into this than is probably necessary but I do have a big passion for promoting music I love and wish for more people to check out bands I think are amazing.

Before getting to the top tens here are some honourable mentions: Toodles & The Hectic Pity, Swayze, Out Of Love, The Chinkees, Beat The Smart Kids, Maladroit, Jerks!, Hangtime, Got Trash, Aerial Salad, American Television, Apathy Cycle, Bashful, Broadway Calls, Custody, Foreign Bier, Goldfinger, Jet8, Kid You Not, Less Than Jake, Millie Manders & The Shut Up, Panic Problem, The Raging Nathans, Red City Radio, The Special Bombs, Wolf-Face and The Yum Yums.

Lastly, before revealing my lists, I wish to point out this isn’t a list of what I think the best releases are. Music isn’t a competition and you can’t have a “best” album or EP because it is all subjective. This is a list of releases that I have had the most fun listening to, have excited me or have touched me emotionally.

Imagine reading almost five hundred words of an end of year list before finding out which bands are on the list, probably a bit of overkill really. Right, on with the lists.

Top Ten EPs of 2020

10. Dead Inside by CF98


One of the bands I was most disappointed not to see at the cancelled MPF this year was Poland’s CF98. In the spring they released this fantastic skate punk EP full of interesting, uplifting and powerful songs. In the past few years it’s been wonderful to see more and more bands that aren’t just men having impacts on the skate punk scene and Dead Inside shows exactly why CF98 are so highly thought of. When gigs are allowed again, CF98 are high on my list of must see bands.

9. Proper Confessions by Brightview


Brightview are one of a number of bands in this article that I discovered this year via Bandcamp. They are a three piece band from Germany who play emotional punk rock. When I first listened to their EP Proper Confessions I was instantly reminded of Against Me! and The Gaslight Anthem. At times the band has this raw, folky style and at times there’s a hint of Americana storytelling involved. I’m not sure why more people haven’t been talking about these guys as, to me, they are one of the most exciting new bands I’ve heard in recent times. If Stefan and the Booze Cruise team happen to be reading this, please could you find a spot on next year’s festival for Brightview – thank you!

8. You Belong Here by Shinjoku Riot


When I first listened to You Belong Here by Mexican pop punks Shinjoku Riot it almost felt like they wrote the EP with me in mind. All four songs have this wonderful sing-along quality, with Rafael’s vocals really seeming to have improved since their last release, All We Have Is Now. You Belong here starts out in an urgent manor and finishes with what I think is the best song they’ve written so far in Face First To The Ground. This is one of those releases that I imagine will be even better performed live than it is recorded.

7. Alright by The Hype Pathetics


The Hype Pathetics are a band that I covered quite recently and I had so much fun reviewing them that I had to include them in this list. The three piece from Denver, Colorado, play fast and fun power pop punk music. This EP is so much fun. It’s the type that will you have you at the very least tapping your toes but you’re more than likely to find yourself having a full on dance party wherever you are listening to it. Every time I’ve listened to it I’ve found myself shaking my thang and having the most fun in the world. Something that has been desperately needed in 2020.

6. Pretend It’s Not Over by Resuscitators


I was in two minds about whether or not to include Pretend It’s Not Over by Resuscitators on this list due to their connection with CPRW Records but then I listened to the EP again and decided I had to as it’s really, really good. I have a memory of the band’s drummer Kyle coming up to me outside New Cross not long after the EP had been recorded and playing me some songs on his phone. Obviously, being played on a phone outside of a busy gig, it wasn’t easy to hear the songs so clearly but what I did hear was superb and it got me excited for the release. In my opinion the EP is such a big step up from the band’s previous material and has hopefully showcased them to a whole new group of fans. If you enjoy fast, melodic, gruff punk rock then Resuscitators should be on your radar.

5. Grower by Burnt Tapes


I’m not sure there are many bands in the UK DIY scene that work harder than the Burnt Tapes. Never a band that stands still for long, the band released Grower this year. Featuring three brand new tracks alongside an acoustic version of the fan favourite Yuzi, this yet again shows some more growth in the band’s songwriting. With each release the band seem to find their sound more and more, along with gaining new fans with each release. The Tapes were supposed to make two trips to America this year and I’m sure that they would have received incredible receptions wherever they played.

4. Tales From A Red Flag Galaxy by Stubborn Hearts


Stubborn Hearts are another band I found on Bandcamp and had a really fun time reviewing. They are a two piece from New York who play urgent melodic punk rock. Tales From A Red Flag Galaxy blew me away the first time I listened to it. It’s a bit of a throwback to the 90s punk sound but also feels fresh. Lead singer Jenn Lombari’s vocals are captivating whether they’re singing in a fast paced tempo or a slower more angst-fuelled style. The songs are brilliantly catchy but also contain a lot of substance and, for a two piece, they manage to make a lot of noise. The EP also finishes with a wonderful cover of Outer Space by The Muffs, so check it out for that reason alone.

3. Someday, One Day by Modern Shakes


When I first heard Someday, One Day by Modern Shakes I fully expected the band to do the double for my favourite EP of the year, having previously topped 2019’s list with Murmur. It says alot about just how good I think numbers one and two in my list are that Someday, One Day is number three. I feel that the band are one of London’s best kept secrets and if 2020 hadn’t gone the way that it has then these guys would have played gigs all around the UK by now on the back of this EP. If you’re not aware of Modern Shakes yet, they are front by former Janowski frontman Ian Crooks, who in my opinion has one of the best voices in punk rock at the moment and they play melodic pop punk music that would fit perfectly on a The Fest line up. They write songs about life as you approach your thirties and the problems that you face. I’m looking forward to 2021 and hopefully seeing these guys absolutely smash it.

2. Straight To VHS by Abandon The Midwest


Straight To VHS has everything I love about punk rock on it – catchy songs that I can relate to, dual and gang vocals and a raw and urgent energy to it. From the first moment I listened to it I was absolutely hooked. It’s been out about six months now and I still find myself getting so excited whenever I listen to it. I really love the contrasting vocals the band have. BJ’s cleaner pop vocals and Matt’s raspy, gruff vocals give the band their own recognisable sound. When you hear a song come on you’ll know it’s Abandon The Midwest. The Orlando based band have also released my song of the year in Mistreat Yourself. It’s a mid-tempo sing-along, fist in the air riot that I am aching to see live. Hey Tony and The Fest team, if you happen to be reading this, could you put Abandon The Midwest on the line up next year please? Thank you.

1. My Name Is by ALLDEEPENDS


I don’t think I had a more anticipated release for 2020 than My Name Is by ALLDEEPENDS. After seeing one of their first gigs at Book Yer Ane Fest at the end of 2019 I was itching to hear some recorded material from the band. My Name Is was eventually released by the legends that are Make-That-A-Take Records in the summer and I was blown away. Combining folk, hardcore and rap – three genres that aren’t usually bed buddies – and creating one of the most unique and exciting sounds I’ve heard in forever. I can’t say enough good things about this band. They are the band that I’ve recommended whenever someone has asked for something new to listen to this year. The EP is full of this raw energy that explodes from the speakers and seeps into your body. I always find myself getting so pumped up whenever I listen to My Name Is. This EP reminds me of what I first loved about punk rock in the first place – it makes me feel things, it makes me think, it makes me sing and most of all it makes me smile. I really can’t think of a better debut EP I’ve heard in a very long time. I’ve been listening to it relentlessly for six months now and that excitement I had when I first heard the EP is as high now as it was back then.

Top Ten Albums of 2020

10. Walter Concrete by Dead In Four


Dead In Four nearly appeared twice on my lists as they also released a fantastic EP in the form of Media Shower in 2020. Another of my 2020 Bandcamp discoveries, Dead In Four is the project of Mark Oslord from Bedford, New Hampshire. Walter Concrete is the softer of the two releases but features ten songs of brilliant dreamy punk rock. Oslord’s voice reminds me of a mix of Em Foster of Nervus and Matt Skiba of Alkaline Trio and is just fantastic.

9. No Slow TempOs by Youth On Drugs


I think this year, more than any other, it’s been important to find the fun and silliness in music. Music, like a lot of art forms, is a type of escapism. No Slow TempOs offer one of the most fun releases of the year. This is catchy pop punk that doesn’t take itself too seriously, something that’s really been needed this year. Youth On Drugs have such an infectious sound and every time you listen to them you’ll find something new that you love. Is there a country that produces better pop punk bands than Canada?

8. Magic Summer by The Sewer Rats


I’ve been in love with The Sewer Rats since first seeing them at Hamburg Booze Cruise in 2019. In the summer of 2020 they released a new album titled Magic Summer, released in the UK by our friends at Disconnect Disconnect Records, and it ruled. The four piece combine Lookout Records style pop punk with a hint of skate punk to create a sound like no other. Thematically the band talk about growing up and falling in love alongside more serious topics such as veganism. Whatever they’re singing about, you’ll be singing along with them due to their incredible skill at writing catchy hooks.

7. Can’t Complain by Kill Lincoln


Can’t Complain by Kill Lincoln felt like the most anticipated ska punk album to be released in years before it came out in August. It did not disappoint. Squeezing eleven tracks into twenty-nine minutes, the album is a high octane thrill ride that barely pauses for breath. Can’t Complain sees the band at the very top of their game, not just with their playing skills but also with their songwriting. It feels like the popularity of ska punk is rapidly growing again in the United States and Kill Lincoln are at the forefront of the new movement.

6. 42 Losers by Melanie


Emo/pop punk isn’t a usual go to when I’m checking out new bands but I absolutely loved 42 Losers by New Zealand’s Melanie. What really grabbed me about this album is the raw emotion that comes from James Dentice’s vocals throughout 42 Losers. Whether it’s more of an uptempo song or a slower track, you just can’t ignore them. Given that Melanie are based in New Zealand, it feels unlikely that I’ll ever see them live and this makes me sad. Good thing that I now have 42 Losers to listen to when I am sad.

5. Revolution Summer by The Suicide Machines


This might be a controversial statement (feel free to disagree in the comments) but I think Revolution Summer by The Suicide Machines is the best thing Fat Wreck Chords have released in years. The long running ska punks from Detroit returned with their first new full length in fifteen years and they feel invigorated. Revolution Summer retains all of the social political commentary that the band have become known for but there’s also a feeling of positivity that really took the album to another level for me. This is an album that’s compulsory listening in 2020. I’ve listened to it a lot!

4. Slurring The Rhythms by Shut Up! Twist Again!


European punk rock has become a big part of my life in recent years and I’m always looking for new bands to discover. Without a doubt my favourite discovery of 2020 are French indie punks Shut Up! Twist Again!. The band released their second album Slurring The Rhythms on Guerilla Asso and Fond Of Life Records in August and I stumbled across it a month or so later and was hooked. The thing that first attracted me to the band was their ability to write songs that make me want to sing along. I like to feel involved in the music I’m listening to and that’s certainly the case for Slurring The Rhythms. Musically you can hear just how much thought has gone into every song on the album and the use of gang vocals are second to none. Hey, Stefan, if you’re booking Brightview for Booze Cruise Festival could you also find room for Shut Up! Twist Again! please? 

3. The Spaces In Between by Arterials


Another band I’ve been telling everyone to check out this year is Hamburg’s Arterials. I first fell in love with them whilst watching them play on a boat in Hamburg. The energy that they had live was brilliant and lead singer Flo has those wonderfully raspy vocals that I always enjoy. I was lucky enough to get an early listen of the band’s new album, The Spaces In Between, during the spring and I knew straight away that it would place highly in my end of year list. Each and every song on the album spoke to me in one way or another. I think it’s important for punk music to make you feel something, whether it’s feelings of catharsis, empowerment and influence or anything else. The Spaces In Between is great at this. Topics such as mental health, political and social injustices, friendship and climate change are all featured on the album. If you’ve not checked this out yet then make sure you do soon, it’s another important record for 2020.

2. Me, Myself And Something Else by Call Me Malcolm


I’m sure nobody reading this is surprised to find Call Me Malcolm on this list. It’s no secret how much I love this band. When the band released Me, Myself And Something Else (on Wiretap Records no less) my first thoughts were how would it compare to the awesome I Was Broken When You Got Here, which is by popular opinion a masterpiece. Well, in my opinion, they topped it. Musically the album feels heavier and you can clearly hear that following Random Hand for much of 2018 and 2019 has rubbed off on Malcolm. Of course, the album touches a lot on mental health issues and coming to terms with your struggles, and the band continue to show what fantastic songwriters they are. The big highlight for me on the album is the stepping up of sax player Mark Farthing as a co-lead vocalist. When he takes lead he shines and it’s added an additional dimension to an already amazing band. There’s every chance that Me, Myself And Something Else would have been top of this list if I’d had the chance to see any of these songs played live this year, I can’t wait to get the chance to!

1. Get Your Retaliation In First by 3dBs Down


Get Your Retaliation In First by 3dBs Down blew me away like no other in 2020. 3dBs Down are a band that I discovered in the past few years after befriending Paul Smith of Be Sharp Promotions (yup, that guy) and him telling me over and over again how they are the best band ever. Fast forward to this year, when this album landed in my inbox. After seeing them live a couple of times I was expecting something decent but I really wasn’t expecting an album that is this good. The band somehow manage to combine pop punk breakdowns and ska upstrokes into one cohesive sound and also have the very best harmonies in the UK punk scene – past, present and probably the future. Get Your Retaliation In First is the band’s first album in fifteen years and it became the soundtrack of my summer. It’s also the album I probably had the most fun reviewing all year. It’s so varied, not one song sounds the same and there are so many little intricacies that you hear for the first time with each listen. I’m sure there were a lot of new people to the UK punk and ska scene that discovered 3dBs Down for the first time this year and this album is a perfect way to welcome them to what the band do. The album touches on many social and political themes but also has some of the most uplifting songs I’ve heard all year. This album really has it all, it’s a lot of fun but it also makes you feel things. And did I mention the harmonies? Jeez, they’re so good. I’ve got my fingers crossed that 3dBs Down will play Get Your Retaliation In First in full at some point next year. Hey Paul, can you book that please? Thanks! Get Your Retaliation In First is my favourite album of 2020.

This top ten was written by Colin Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment