Monday 14 December 2020

Chris' Top Ten Albums of 2020


Like everyone, I've found it extremely hard to come up with my 10 favourite albums this year. Seriously good releases not to make my list came from Custody, The Sewer Rats, Giant Eagles and American Television; and some old favourites also put out some really great new music as well including Broadway Calls, Lawrence Arms and Get Dead. So, 2020… the worst ever year for live music, but a pretty damn great one for recorded releases.

10. Diaz Brothers by Diaz Brothers


I find it increasingly impossible to write anything for CPRW without somehow crowbarring a mention of Leatherface in there somewhere, so here's my reference in this article. The debut from Sunderland's Diaz Brothers featuring ex members from the region's punk scene, in particular Leatherface's forerunner's HDQ, but they are most certainly not a poorman's imitation – just fantastic, fast, melodic hardcore.

9. Ways Away by Ways Away


This is probably the album I was looking forward to the most this year. A semi-supergroup featuring members of Racquet Club, Stick To Your Guns and Samiam amongst others, drawing influences from all. This is Ways Away’s debut and it didn't let me down. A must see band once things get back to normal.

8. Seamless by Pardon Us


I wasn't expecting a new album from Pardon Us as their debut only came out last year. I'm guessing because it took a while for that debut they always had plenty of songs in the bank, which means the next album is a perfect follow up to Wait – nothing has been rushed out here, the standard is tremendously high.

7. Eruptions by The Special Bombs


There's loads of great German punk, and European punk in general, around at the moment and a whole load of them made my long, short list. Eruptions is the debut from The Special Bombs from Wittibreut and it is singalong, shout it out loud bangers from start to finish.

6. Thanks, I Hate It by Kid You Not


It's hard to believe this is already Kid You Not's third album and they just get better and better. Floridian, Fest stalwarts these songs were written to be played at full volume in a packed, sweaty venue, but I'll make do with blasting this at home for now.

5. 20/20 Vision by Anti-Flag


This album was out before COVID really hit and the band were here in the UK promoting it at the start of the year. Not only was it one of the few shows any of us have managed to see this year, but it was great to be one of a select few to see them play some of these new songs live. The album is their best for some time, which is saying something as Anti-Flag don't put out duffs. It's stacked with singalong anthems we love and expect, but with the twist that it's a full on assault on the Trump administration rather than the usual broader political and social commentary.

4. Still Golden by Wolf Face


2020 was the year I actually took notice of Wolf Face. I'd always been aware of them, but had never properly taken the time to listen. It turns out, 2020 was the perfect time to discover them as Still Golden is brilliant from start to finish. Don't be put off by gimmicky masks or pseudonyms because Wolf Face Still Golden is straight up, catchy, anthemic punk.

3. Oppositional Defiance by The Raging Nathans


The Raging Nathans get better and better. I've always been a fan, but the latest album is the best yet. Midwestern melodic punk at its core with elements of skate, street, pop and even hardcore in there. Rad Girlfriend put out a tonne of great records this year and this is the very best of the lot.

2. The Spaces In Between by Arterials


The second band from Germany on my list and this is also an absolute banger from the Hamburg band. Proper fist in the air, gritty, urgent punk complete with raspy vocals, their second album quite simply offers up everything I want from a record. Arterials are at the very top of my must see list at Booze Cruise Festival in their hometown next year.

1. Under Tension by The Drowns


This came out at the very start of the year, but even back then I knew it would be one of my favourites. Gruff street punk with a bit of gravelly oi thrown in. I love it. Every track is a banger. The Drowns were due in the UK for Rebellion this year. I'm not sure if they've confirmed for next year, but I have everything crossed they'll be back and will be putting together a wider tour.

This top ten was written by Chris Bishton.

No comments:

Post a Comment