Wednesday 16 December 2020

Marcus' Top Ten Albums of 2020


2020. What a time to barely be alive. It’s okay to say that this year sucked, while also recognizing that some good things still happened. Trump’s on his way out of the White House, I’ve managed to teach a classroom of six-year-olds (and a few online kids) to become better readers, and, against all odds, some great humans put out some kick ass records.

Before getting into some of my favorites of the year, I want to shout out Bandcamp who have worked better than most large platforms to support independent artists. Showing off your Spotify Wrapped is a cool way to hype your favorite bands (I posted mine on Twitter as well), but if the music is good, pay the artist. In a year when touring came to a screeching halt, supporting the artists you love should be a priority if you have the means.

Alright, let’s get to ’em.

10. Envier les vivants by Intenable 
(May 29th, Guerilla Asso)


I used to be one of those people who had to “know what the lyrics were” to be able to enjoy a song. My mind has since become enlightened, and though I may have ranked it higher if it was in English or Spanish, the indie-punk greatness of Envier les vivants by Intenable is obvious to me. I haven’t looked up any of the translations for their song titles, so in my head, I’m usually like “oh, this is that loud crashing song” or “this is that fists in the air banger” or “this is that fast song with the great riff”. Antho’s résumé (the guy who drums on the record, but is a multi-instrumentalist) is impressive, having played in Guerilla Poubelle, Quitters, Mauvise Pioche, and even Arms Aloft when they’ve toured Europe. Très bien if you ask me.

Tracks to check out: “Nuéesardentes”, “L’aube des vaincus”, and “Votre couleur, le noir.”

9. You or Someone You Know by Worriers
(March 6th, 6131 Records) 


After previewing the summery, power pop sound of “Big Feelings”, I knew I had to add this release to my watchlist. However, what stands out on You or Someone You Know aren’t just the occasional driving-with-the-windows-down vibes, but Lauren Denitzio’s introspective and personal lyrics, ranging from climate change to toxic relationships to LGBT issues. They’re not all happy sounds, however, as Worriers definitely live up to their name. The “worrying” expressed on the record isn’t the paralyzing, helpless kind, but the kind that recognizes the issues and fights like hell to fix them. It’s a blend of hope and worry that would be hard for any band to balance on one record, but they pull it off. The catchiest, most accessible songs on the record are the first three, although repeat listens have shown me that the back half of the record is just as great.

Tracks to check out: “End Of The World”, “PWR CPLE”, and “What Comes Next?”

8. Eruptions by The Special Bombs
(March 20th, SBÄM Records) 


Do you like The Bouncing Souls? Well, The Special Bombs love the Souls. If someone told me that Eruptions was the product of a Back To The Future-style process wherein four guys from Lower Bavaria used a DeLorean to travel back in time to snatch a demo tape of songs from New Jersey and used them to make a record of their own to release in 2020, I might be convinced that time travel was in fact possible. There’d be some plot holes, of course; namely, WHY DID THEY CHOOSE TO COME BACK TO 2020? But the rest would be somewhat plausible.

Tracks to check out: “Still Dreaming”, “Nothing In The World”, and “United”

7. Majorly – Don’t Boldly Go
(July 24th, Broken Camera Records)


What subgenre of punk is Majorly? Man, hell if I know. Majorly is mostly one dude (Chris Kaya, who, according to the bandcamp page, did the guitars, bass, drum programming, pianos, synths, melodica, omnichord, digital horn, and trombone on the record) that makes a bunch of noise. The noise is good, usually melodic, but doesn’t stick specifically to one sound. If there is a common thread with most of the songs, it’s that they’re all self-deprecating and easy (for me) to relate to. If you’re okay with your punk getting a little weird (I workshopped the phrase “weird bedroom punk”, but it didn’t test well), it’s well worth it to stretch just a little outside your comfort zone.

Tracks to check out: “Fairgrounds”, “The Midnight Sitcoms”, and “Mary Banilow”

6. Teenage Halloween by Teenage Halloween
(September 18th, Don Giovanni Records)


It came out in September, but I didn’t really give it a chance until it got closer to Halloween, which I blame on my subconscious not allowing me to recognize anything Halloween-related until the middle of October. Anyways, what Teenage Halloween do so well is 1) showcase lead singer Luke Henderiks’ vocals (not gravelly by any stretch, but more like a fine sandpaper), b) keep every song interesting, changing up tempos and instruments so that nothing sounds too samey, and thirdly, have lyrics that mix angst with awkwardness. And really, doesn’t that sound like a teenage Halloween? Despite being decades removed from my teenage years and months past Halloween, I’ve still spent a ton of time jamming to Teenage Halloween.

Tracks to check out: “Holes”, “Clarity”, “Racehorse”

5. Colapso Tropical by Mondo Beta
(March 13th, self-released)


I am a huge fan of everything that John Reis has ever been involved in (Rocket from the Crypt, Hot Snakes, The Night Marchers, etc.), and Mondo Beta are on record saying that their goal is to sound as much like Hot Snakes as possible. While I’m all for bands putting their own personal signature on a genre, I can also appreciate Mondo Beta’s hero worship here, because it just rips, and if you’re gonna blatantly rip off a band, I think they chose wisely. Hot Snakes were supposed to release a record in 2020, but it seems that plans changed due to COVID. These eleven tracks of post-hardcore enespañol are more than enough to hold me over until then.

Tracks to check out: “No me caes bien”, “Que alguien me pare”, and “Colapso tropical”

4. I was almost an astronaut once by Dabblin’
(March 7th, Bus Stop Press) 


The Internet has failed me. If there was any justice in the world I’d know way more about Dabblin’, this amazing French band that I randomly found on a Bandcamp comp. But they’re not on Spotify, Apple Music, or any of the social media platforms. Whoever these mystery men and women are, they put out a great record of folky, poppy punk that just feels like it needs to be experienced live (sigh). I was able to order the cassette from Bus Stop Press, well worth the postage from across the Atlantic. Anyways, I know not all of the bands on this list are geared towards the CPRW demographic per se, but I think y’all would really like Dabblin’.

Tracks to check out: “All of the small things (Not a Blink 182 cover)”, “Two truths and a lie”, and “Building furniture from the boards protecting the windows of banks”

3. In Transit by Quaker Wedding
(June 19th, Salinas Records)


One of the songs I listened to the most this summer was “Jilted Lover”, the lead single off of In Transit. You know how sometimes you listen to a song too much and get burnt out on it? Well, it never happened with that song, because it is just so damn good. Like most bands on this list, Quaker Wedding dropped a banger of a debut in 2020, and In Transit is great start to finish. A mix of Jawbreaker and Face to Face, Quaker Wedding know what it’s like to fuck things up and feel like shit about it. I’m not sure what drives a listener (like myself) to listen to music that expresses those ideas, but I guess it’s cheaper than therapy?

Tracks to check out: “Jilted Lover”, “Sinking Ship”, and “Aching”

2. Made To Rust by Dumb Luck
(October 14th, Secret Pennies Records) 


This was a late-ish entry to the running list that I kept during the year, and it feels weird to place it this high, when most of the others I’ve been able to sit with for a lot longer. But man, Made to Rust is really good. The production quality makes it seem a bit like a live recording, which is of lesser fidelity, but… I don’t know, like a good live recording? I feel like Dumb Luck have got a few songs that could’ve been from Sink Or Swim-era The Gaslight Anthem, but nobody is singing about girls named Maria. Probably less references to the radio as well. Anyways, they’re from Corvalis, Oregon, but there’s definitely some Midwest punk influences in Made To Rust.

Tracks to check out: “Over It”, “Lazarus”, and “Salinas”

1. Skeleton Coast by The Lawrence Arms
(July 17th, Epitaph Chords)


As referenced earlier, the majority of the records on this list were debut albums (seven out of the ten, to be precise). However, the number one spot belongs to a band that was formed in 1999, a few years before I even graduated from high school. The Lawrence Arms just do what they do, and I love it. After more than two decades, they churned out 14 songs that are right up there with Oh! Calcutta! as their best stuff. Dueling vocals, soaring choruses, gritty howls, etc. Shoot it all into my veins, this record was my comfort food this year.

Tracks to check out: “Pigeons And Spies”, “Don’t Look At Me”, and “Under Paris”

If you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading and checking out CPRW. In the words of the immortal Joe Strummer, “Without people, you’re nothing.” I’ve loved writing, podcasting, and messaging with this great group of humans this year, and I’m looking forward to better times, great tunes, and the return of live music in 2021.

This top ten was written by Marcus Pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment