Thursday 5 September 2019

Top Tens: Craig from Cold Wrecks’ Top Ten Punk Rock Influences


Against Me!
Rob Thomas said he wrote Smooth because he wanted to write a song that could kill God, and I think that's how I felt the first time I heard Against Me's album Reinventing Axl Rose. They are consistently the best live band, with an extensive and diverse catalog of songs.

Bomb The Music Industry!
The best part of being from Long Island was that I got to see Bomb The Music Industry! all the time. Jeff's songwriting is inventive and ambitious, and he plays every show like it's the last show he'll ever play on planet Earth. This band taught me to have fun with shows, and encouraged an entire generation of musicians to try to do things themselves.

Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down
This song came out when I was in 6th grade and I made my mom buy me the CD from Tower Records. I only ever listened to this one song.

The Homecoming Queens
This was the band that made me want to start a band. A local Long Island ska band that wasn't sure if it wanted to be serious or goofy, and decided to be serious. There was an unbelievable amount of talent in this band, and me and Vizzi would see them play once a month for years. I loved screaming along, I loved trying to figure out the songs on bass, and Jon Graber from this band was the first producer we worked with in our band before Cold Wrecks.

The Nelsonvillains
They took over the New Paltz college scene and changed how I wrote songs. Check out their album Our Evil Inside Joke on Bandcamp. Listening to this band taught me how to write songs about being afraid of yourself.

An interview with Matt Freeman where he talks about being a bass player
I chose to play bass instead of guitar when I was 16, and had a certain pride that I started with bass. I think certain people do. I didn't start with guitar and then switch to bass, I always wanted to play bass, like Matt Freeman. One of these days I'm going to try to figure out the bass solo to Maxwell Murder.

The Clash
Playing along to London Calling is how I got my style of bass playing. The bass lines on London Calling move and shape the song without distracting from anything. This is my favorite old punk record.

Signals Midwest
Great songs, great shows, great writing – both music and lyrics. Endless respect for this band.

Pink Couch Sessions
These were the coolest. A ton of Festy DIY punk/pop punk, folk punk acts did acoustic sessions on a Pink Couch. I discovered a ton of great bands this way. Matan is planning to start something similar called Dog Days of Bummer, so keep an eye out!

The Fest
Fest embodies punk to me. Fest and Pouzza are the only festivals I've ever wanted to play and go to. I've discovered a ton of great bands and met a ton of great friends that live all over the place. Meeting the people we did helped us a lot when we started touring, because we knew people around the country who could help us with shows and places to stay. I remember just going to my first Fest was a dream come true, and I'm unbelievably grateful that I get to play.

Like Cold Wrecks here and listen to their music here.

No comments:

Post a Comment