Wednesday 30 July 2014

Album Review: Sausage Hospital by Mike TV

Back in the early 2000’s, back in the days when MySpace was cool I accidently stumbled upon a band named Pickled Dick. Naturally the immature childish side of my personality (which over 10 years later I am yet to grow out of) wanted to see who they were. What I discovered was probably the best pop punk band from the UK I had ever heard. I instantly ordered their debut album Panda-Moanium from their Big Cartel page and was instantly hooked. It was an album full of fun pop punk songs clearly influenced a golden era for the genre – 90’s Lookout pop punk. In the 1990’s Lookout Records, run by Larry Livermore in San Francisco put out records by now legendary bands such as Screeching Weasel, The Queers, The Mr T Experience and of course Green Day. Panda-Moanium is still one of my favourite pop punk albums to this day. In 2008 after adding an extra guitarist and changing their name to Mike TV they released a new self titled album. Whilst I enjoyed this album something was missing that made me love Panda-Moanium so much. Luckily on their recently released new album Sausage Hospital what I originally loved about Pickled Dick was back.


Mike TV are a band that know exactly who they are and what they are about. They are not here to end world hunger or end wars; they’re all about having fun. Sausage Hospital is an album full of high energy, up tempo catchy songs you’ll be singing for days. The songs are superbly written, with some very witty and clever lyrics. It’s all played magnificently and some of front man Domb’s bass lines are fantastic. As with everything Mike TV have released, dating back to their Pickled Dick days the harmonies are first class. Though none are quite as good as the harmony section on the song Salamander from Panda-Moanium (one of the best harmonies I’ve ever heard) the harmonies in the songs Even Keel and 90’s Teenager are fantastic. Don’t think though just because the album is fun that some serious issues aren’t tackled. Alcoholism, depression, break ups and growing pains are all tackled on Sausage Hospital.


Sausage Hospital is one of the best pop albums I’ve heard in a very long time. I strongly advise you to check it out. Its essential summer listening. Stand out tracks for me were 90’s Teenager, Alcoholocaustic and Pasquinade. 



Now listening to Dear Bill Hicks by Mike TV

No comments:

Post a Comment