Friday 22 December 2017

Dan's Top Ten Albums of 2017


There are those amongst us that cry about there being no more good music. The type of person who won't look further than the radio or their local HMV will cry a river about the state of music and tell you how the art form is dead.

2017 however would beg to differ.

It has been such a bumper year for incredible new music from new bands, established acts and barn burning comebacks that I would hesitantly say it’s been the best in recent history. Whittling down a list to ten albums has never been more difficult for me and I shed a tear for those incredible albums that would have easily found a place any other year but this time lost out by shear weight of gold that has befallen us. Therefore I caveat this entire list before announcing it by saying “yes I agree, [x] album is also incredible but alas I only have the ten spots”.

10. Wolves by Rise Against


Rise Against are a band that I loved dearly for a significant period of time and then I felt lost their way. This is often the way for incredibly popular bands but 2017's Wolves is a great listen and the first RA album that I’ve really enjoyed since 2011's Endgame.

9. Stealing The Covers by Teenage Bottlerocket


Incredible compilations could have taken their own list this year. One of the best has been War On Errorism II which came out recently and on it featured a song from TBR that I hadn’t heard before. A friend then quickly directed me to Stealing The Covers which is as perfect a covers album as could be made. You have no need to know the songs as the Bottlerocket boys make every one their own and it’s a joy from start to finish.

8. PokéJon by Jonathan Young


I listen to a lot of Pokémon covers on YouTube. Enough that I can honestly say that this album full of Pokémon covers is definitely the best of the lot. For what is essentially a joke created by one guy in his basement, it’s incredibly well produced and fun to listen to whether you like this sort of thing ironically or joyously. The Pokérap is particularly excellent.

7. Harvest by F.O.D


Of the category “mainland European bands that don’t play particularly original music but pay incredible homage to established genres” there has actually been several great entries but F.O.D are surely the undisputed kings. Songs that are at once totally their own and perfect amalgamations of the best bands of 90s skate punk, this is an album that stands apart by virtue of being the most Bad Religiony of the crew and just having phenomenal vocals.

6. Victory Lap by Propagandhi


Having the first Propagandhi album in 5 years come in at number 6 on this list should be in no way a smear on the quality of this album and instead show just how incredible the quality of musical releases has been this year. The kings of Melodic Hardcore bring to the fore once more their furious brand of progressive rock mixed in with almost metal riffage and fierce political observation. A band that has never put a foot wrong in a 25 year career show that they’ve still got it and always will.

5. Sex Drugs and Wishy Washy Politics by Eat The Evidence


Eat The Evidence picks up the coveted “needed a kickstarter to fund my album and it actually happened” award this year. Trying to rely on the support of fans to pay for something of this magnitude is always a difficult task and this is one of a handful of albums I’ve seen successfully made this way. People who backed the album were thankfully treated to an outstanding second wave ska experience that is unlike absolutely everything else around them. Well crafted, infinitely fun and technically brilliant, Sex Drugs and Wishy Washy Politics is be best thing to come out of West London since Andy Serkis.

4. Troublemaker by Rancid


I’m the first to admit when I’m wrong. And with Troublemaker I was wrong. When this album was released I still had a pretty sour taste in my mouth from Honor Is All We Know and I instantly dismissed this new offering as the work of a washed up bunch of geezers cashing in a check. Instead, after forcing a listen for the sake of my Tim Armstrong tattoo, I found to my amazement easily one of the best Rancid albums of this millennium. With a varied and interesting track list, catchy tunes and the kind of Rancid charm that is thankfully back after too long away, we’re treated to the kind of album that you’d happily patch up your cut off denim jacket with. And what else matters when you’re a Rancid fan?

3. Broadcasting To The Nations by Authority Zero


Oh Dan you have two Bird Attack records in your top three!! You’re damn right I do. Bird Attack Records are exclusively dealing in what my brain considers the greatest music on the planet right now and they sure do know how to pick them. Broadcasting is now the go to Authority Zero album when people want to know what’s the greatest they’ve made. From start to finish this album is a (revolution) riot and it was one of the hardest albums I found to put down all year. Full to the brim with skate punk, ska, reggae and Jason DeVore’s heaven sent vocals, there’s not a second of this album that doesn’t scream “instant classic”.

2. Bonsai Mammoth by Darko


Right at the beginning of the year this beauty fell into my lap and back then I knew that something truly spectacular would have to happen to knock this off the top spot. I don’t think it’s too controversial a statement to say that Darko sit on a crown as the kings of the UK Melodic Hardcore scene, a scene stacked with incredible talent. Bonsai Mammoth is the full length that fans have been dying for and it delivers on every note. It’s blisteringly fast, mind-blowingly technical and raw as all fucking hell but never overbearing, always fun and sticks in the mind like glue.

1. The Knife by Goldfinger


So as I said, something truly spectacular would have to happen for Bonsai Mammoth to not be in first place. That spectacular feat was accomplished by the legendary Jon Feldman and his amazing band of hyper-talented friends. Or Goldfinger as they went by on The Knife. This album is my childhood in a nutshell and it’s not only the best Goldfinger have to offer but it is also blessed by other superstar members such as MxPx's Mike Herrera and Blink-182's Travis Barker. They allow their own styles to bleed into the songs too so that I also get Blink-esque songs better that anything the actual band have cobbled together this year and tracks that could be straight out of the MxPx albums I’ve been waiting five years to appear. I love every song on this album and struggled to review anything after it came out because I just couldn’t seem to get it off my stereo and still can’t. This is a masterclass in how to create the ever popular “been away for a while but I’m back and tracing my style back to our roots” style of punk album that seems to be a major staple these days.

This end of year list was written by Dan Peters.

No comments:

Post a Comment