Wednesday 22 December 2021

CPRW Top Ten Albums of 2021: Part 3



When the time came to start thinking about end of year lists, I got immediately stressed out. My first thoughts were have there been ten albums that I liked enough to include in a top ten? Then I did some research and it turned out there had absolutely been enough albums to include. I thought because of pandemics and what not that a lot of bands wouldn’t have been able to get their music recorded and released. I was wrong. 2021 has been a very strong year. As ever with these lists, I feel like it’s really important to say that this list is a favourite list and not a best list. ‘Best’ doesn’t exist in music as it’s all objective. Also, before we get started, some honourable mentions go to Big D And The Kids Table, Catbite, Shackleford, Sincere Engineer, The Last Mile, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Randells, Postage and Neckscars. Check all of their albums out. And now, without further adieu, here’s my Top Ten Favourite Albums of 2021.

10. Beginnings by The JB Conspiracy (Everything Sucks Music)


The long awaited third album by UK ska punk legends The JB Conspiracy was finally released during the summer. Following a collection of seriously good singles, I was seriously excited to check Beginnings out. On that first listen I wasn’t really sure what to make of it. For me, the album is a massive grower. There’s so much going on throughout the album’s run-time that you need to spend a lot of time with it to really appreciate the craftsmanship that’s gone into this album. If I were to re-write this list in a year or two, I imagine that Beginnings would find its way even higher up this list. I’ve been fortunate enough to see the band play these songs live a couple of times this year and it gave me an extra appreciation for how good this album is.

9. On The Brink by Mark Murphy And The Meds (Brassneck Records, Bloated Kat Records, Horn & Hoof Records, All In Vinyl, Cat’s Claw Records)


On The Brink felt like such a breath of fresh air when I first listened to it. I love some Ramonescore pop punk and it’s been some time since I’ve heard a UK act deliver it so well. Mark Murphy And The Meds are based in Liverpool and feature members of Crocodile God, The No Marks, The Pink Drifters and Hey Maxine. As you might expect from a Ramonescore album, it’s a fast paced, high energy album that is packed with catchy choruses and big hooks. On The Brink is ten songs in just twenty-six minutes but it never feels rushed and doesn’t leave you out of breath. The entire album feels a bit throwback, I don’t know if any other reviewer folk have mentioned Lookout Records when talking about the album but that’s a definite feeling I get when listening to the album and I love that. 

8. I Can’t Take It Anymore by Joystick! (Bad Time Records, Stomp Records)


Californian ska punk label Bad Time Records have had another huge year with a number of incredible releases. For me, the absolute stand out was I Can’t Take It Anymore by New Orleans ska punks Joystick!. I Can’t Take It Anymore mixes so many different ska punk styles to create such a varied album. A big criticism that a lot of folk seem to (wrongly) have about ska punk is that it all sounds the same and Joystick! brilliantly smash that assumption on this album. It’s also a deeply personal album as front person Paul “Duck” Tucker talks about his experiences getting clean from drug and alcohol abuse.

7. The Battle Of by Bong Mountain (Say-10 Records)


This was a nice surprise release at the end of the year. It would probably sit higher on my list if it had been released earlier. Michigan’s Bong Mountain return with their first new album since 2016 and it’s the best thing they’ve released to date. Lead singer Chris Lidstone is one of my favourite vocalists in punk rock and they’re on top form here. It’s emotional and has that special quality that has the listener aching to sing along with each and every song. When telling some friends of mine to listen to the album I described it as being like Spanish Love Songs with less songs about being sad about your divorce. These songs will be cathartic for a lot of people and I can’t wait to get down the front and shout along with my fist held high in the air. 

6. Fuckin’ Woo by Flangipanis (Self-Released)


Whenever Australia’s Flangipanis release anything new they seem to find a way onto my end of year lists. In previous years, Always The Bridesmaid and Community Backwash have been included and their 2021 release, Fuckin’ Woo, also finds a place here. If you’re unaware, Flangipanis are a four piece skate punk band from Brisbane who play fast, fun and often crass and crude songs. I have a huge soft spot for songs that make me smile like this. Sure, we all love a song that can move and inspire but isn’t it nice for hear something that doesn’t take itself too seriously and makes you smile? That said, Fuckin’ Woo does see Flangipanis enter the world of politics on a couple of tracks which shows the growth of the band over the years. I’d love to see them find their way to the UK at some point in the future, it’ll be a fun time!

5. Checkers & Plaid by Left Alone (Smelvis Records) 


If you had said to me in November that Left Alone would be on my top ten of the year list I would have said “oh, Left Alone, that’s a band I haven’t thought about in years!”. But due to my extensive research for this list, not only did I discover that they had released their first new full length in seven years but it’s also superb. What a great surprise. I first discovered Left Alone around 2006 when they released a couple of albums on Tim Armstrong’s Hellcat Records. Like a lot of the bands on the label, at the time they played a mix of ska and street punk, similar in sound to Rancid. On Checkers & Plaid, Left Alone show that they have taken that sound and got better and better. The ska elements on the album in particular really caught my attention with some great organ playing. There’s also plenty of big hooks and moments to put your arm around the person next to you and sing along. 

4. Twistin’ The Knife Away by Heart & Lung (Red Scare Industries)


I first came across Heart & Lung whilst checking out bands playing The Fest this year. Heart & Lung were one that really stood out. A couple of weeks into October the Ohio based four piece released their newest full length, Twistin’ The Knife, and it turned out to be everything I wanted in a punk album. Melody, hooks, sing-alongs and – most importantly – multiple singers. I absolutely adore bands that have more than one singer and Heart & Lung have three! This gives Twistin’ The Knife a great amount of variety. They can play a blistering punk rock sing-along or slow things down for more of a, dare I say, country/Americana tinged moment. I really feel like it won’t be long until more and more people are talking about Heart & Lung, which hopefully means they’ll find their way over to the UK and Europe sooner or later. 

3. A Portal For Sprits by Rutterkin (Euclid Place Records)


Like Heart & Lung, I first discovered Rutterkin whilst listening to bands playing The Fest. As soon as I heard their raspy vocalled punk rock, I knew this was a band I was absolutely going to love and began to listen to their back catalogue a lot. In October they released their debut album, A Portal For Spirits, an album I pre-ordered the vinyl for fully expecting to be ruined by USA to UK postage shipping prices because I was so excited to hear it. Normally when I pre-order vinyl I like to wait for it to arrive before listening to it but I couldn’t wait so streamed the album and began to tell anyone who would listen to me how good this band is. I am a fan of gruff, raspy vocals that I can sing-along with and A Portal For Spirits is packed full of those moments. It also shows a band that aren’t afraid to step away from the punk rock norm of three minute songs, as they include two songs more than five minutes in length at the end of the album that adds so much to the album as a whole.

2. The First One by Andy B And The World (Pookout Records)


Has there ever been a more ambitious DIY punk project than Andy B And The World? If there is, I would love to hear about it. If you don’t know about Andy B And The World here’s a quick explanation: former Fandangle bass player Andy Baker set out to create an album featuring musicians and singers from friends he had made from touring all over the world. Originally he travelled the world to record their parts but then lockdowns hit so he had to finish the project remotely. When I first heard about the project I was quite sceptical about how it would work but when I was lucky enough to get an early listen I was absolutely amazed by what I heard. The First One is fourteen songs that all have their own distinct style but also fit together brilliantly in one album. Of course, with so many different people included on the album (130+ in total, I believe) the album has plenty of sonic variety but the messages link it all together. Themes on the album include mental health, politics and friendship. It’s an album that’s fun, thoughtful and inspiring and, most of all, is an incredible accomplishment.

1. Hearts Of Gold by Dollar Signs (Pure Noise Records)


As soon as I heard Heart Of Gold by Dollar Signs, I absolutely knew that this was going to be my favourite album of 2021. The first time I heard it, the energy that exploded out of my speakers really got me excited. Of all the things I love about songs, the number one thing that really gets me excited for the album is that it is high energy and has an element of chaos to it. Nothing is off the cards for Dollar Signs and that makes them really exciting to me. That combined with Erik Button’s incredible lyrics makes for a (dare I say it) perfect combination. Button does this great thing of making his lyrics, which are usually very sad, feel like a celebration and I love that. Their lyrics tell these great stories that are hugely relatable to the listener and kind of feel like the kind of chat you would have with a friend who is going through a tough time. All of this gives the listener such a great feeling of catharsis that I think is really important. I’ve felt like Dollar Signs have been on the verge of some big things for a few years and it’s great to see them growing as a band and picking up more and more fans. They’re coming to the UK next year and I seriously can’t wait to see them perform live. 

There have also been some phenomenal EPs and singles released in 2021. Here’s a list of some of my favourites:
2020-2021 by Davey Dynamite
Back To Basics by HEY-SMITH
Hands Off! by The Shifty Grits and Jet8
How To Survive By Getting By by Fine And Great
Saccharine by Pinkshift
Panic Earth by Maisonette
Our Boring Lives by Dog Eared
Chick Chicken EP by SKIV
Sick Day by Rest Easy
Funny Feeling by Out Of Love
Cobwebs by Burning Nickels
Stay Colder/Complex Economics by Party Boss

Thanks for reading and for all the support on CPRW this year.



We did it! We made it through another difficult year living with the stress and uncertainty of COVID. There are many who didn’t, so I’m sincerely thankful for everyone who is still here and for the happy moments we’ve been able to snatch in between various waves and lockdowns (and, here in South Africa, in between riots, political tomfoolery, and scheduled blackouts). I’ve really struggled with my mental health this year, as I’m sure many others have, having been rocked by doubt and precarity. It’s been a year of soul-searching and music (as always) has been a real source of joy and comfort. I’m glad I’m here, safe and whole, and able to pay tribute to the albums that I’ve really enjoyed and to the artists who have helped carry me through this year. I’ve kept this list just to full albums, but I’ve listed my favourite EPs from the year at the end as well. 

10. Our Hell Is Right Here by Drones (Lockjaw Records, Thousand Island Records)


Drones released another awesome album in February, producing highly satisfying, rousing and powerful melodic hardcore. I really enjoy Lois’s vocals and this album showcases some fantastic song writing from the band, deftly expressing both vulnerability and resilience. The musicianship is also just top drawer. I did a lot more gushing in my full review for this album, but it is very, very good. 

9. Nice One by Catbite (Bad Time Records)


With their second full-length, Catbite have really filled out and brightened up their sound, adding in more pop-punk bounce and new wave stylings to an already fun ska-punk vibe. It’s ridiculously catchy and almost certainly the album released this year most likely to inspire a solo afternoon dance party. We needed some unabashed power-ska goodness this year and Catbite certainly delivered.

8. Alone in a Dome by The Copyrights (Fat Wreck Chords)


I absolutely love the full and vibrant pop-punk sound of The Copyrights and they really didn’t disappoint with their latest album. ‘Halos’ and ‘Stuck in Winter’ are possibly two of the best songs the band have ever produced, although that’s not to take anything away from the other tracks. The entire album is filled with infectious guitar riffs, bopping bass lines, and cheerful singalongs. High quality from start to finish.

7. Fuck Art by The Dirty Nil (Dine Alone Records)


From the first few staccato notes of ‘Doom Boy’, I was totally hooked on this album’s dirty guitar riffs, cheeky lyrics, and rampant energy. The Dirty Nil may be seen as similar to a band like Pup, both in their brash sound and their slightly niche following, but they certainly have their own unique charm. These songs will get stuck in your head and you will definitely feel awkward when you inevitably blurt out a line about no longer doing drugs or hailing Satan, but it’s a rip-roaring good time. 

6. Ordinary Life by We Are the Union (Bad Time Records)


Brett and I have been listening to We Are the Union for a long time. I still remember standing way up the front to watch them perform at Fest 10, in between No Trigger and Polar Bear Club, desperately singing along to ‘MTV Is Over, If You Want It’ and swaying with the crowd. But I think we both agree that this is their best album to date. The band have really grown, incorporating greater diversity in their music and navigating darker topics related to mental health and self-acceptance. And it feels like this growth has culminated in Ordinary Life, which is both a celebration of embracing the authentic self and a recognition of the struggles that come along with it. Lead singer Reade Walcott came out as trans a few weeks before the release and the topic of trans identity and acceptance is the heart and soul of this album. Trans people are fighting for the ‘ordinary lives’ that others find mundane and this year saw some of the worst rhetoric concerning LGBTQ+ issues and the most amount of anti-transgender bills filed in the US in all of the nation’s history. Flying in the face of all of this bigotry and fear is an album that’s fun, defiant, and sincere. It’s the best thing to blast at the next trans rights rally or at any other time on an ordinary day.

5. South Loop Summer by Hospital Bracelet (Counter Intuitive Records)


Hospital Bracelet unfortunately came under fire earlier this year when two of the band’s members, Manae and Arya, spoke out against the project lead, Eric Christopher, for cutting them out of shows and royalties and for general mistreatment. It’s really sad, especially when you think about what could have been, and I’m very sorry to hear about the bad experience that Manae and Arya had working with Eric. This news does somewhat taint my enjoyment of this album, but I still think it’s an amazing piece of art to come out of a short (and evidently fraught) grouping of musicians. Raw, emotional, captivating, with cutting lyrics and powerful vocals; I lost myself in the sublime fingerpicking on ‘Happy Birthday’ and ‘Feral Rat Anthem’ and found myself crying before I even finished the first listen. A definite mood and cathartic experience.

4. Ollie Ollie Oxen Free by Authority Zero (Concrete Jungle Records)


Authority Zero’s latest album is (unsurprisingly) brimming with fun melodies, clever lines, and phenomenal vocals, making it really enjoyable to sing along to. This is the album of an older and more experienced band reflecting upon the process of aging and maintaining an optimistic outlook despite all the missteps, trials, and dark times that they’ve endured. These songs remind us to “hold on and be strong” because we “belong in good company”, to pick our heads up because “the best is yet to come”; that “nothing good in life comes easy” and that “that’s just life on the back nine”. I love the big choruses and the ska/reggae digressions. And, the bridge on ‘Fire Off Another’ gives me chills every. Single. Time.

3. Manageable Scratchings by Former Member (Memory Music)

This ‘shock drop’ from Jason Shevchuk (of Kid Dynamite, None More Black, and Lagrecia) and producer extraordinaire Will Yip was my best surprise this year. My undying thanks to Jason for managing (hehe) to record this album at home in the rare moments when his 1-year-old son wasn’t around and to Will for lending his compositional and percussion talents. Jason’s familiar honey-rich, raspy vocals are layered over a bluesy hard rock sound, with lots of fun and danceable hooks, and the production is just *chef’s kiss*. Although I enjoyed Former Member’s first release, they absolutely smashed it with this album. Please keep these happy surprises coming. 

2. I’ll Be Honest by Catapults (Uncle M)


Part of what makes CPRW so great is the diverse collection of people who contribute to the site and the wide range of musical tastes that are represented (I know this sounds braggy, but I feel such an affection for everyone who writes for this blog). This year saw some new faces joining the team, including podcast regular Lara. She added a track from Catapults to one of the CPRW playlists earlier this year and I was hooked straight away. This is an amazing first full-length from the German band, whose style of melodic punk is emotional and uplifting. The band aren’t afraid to open up, both lyrically and sonically, with big melodies, honest confessions, and anthemic choruses. A little reminiscent of Spanish Love Songs and there’s a hint of The Swellers, but certainly not derivative in any way. Excited to see how they progress and, with any luck, to catch them live in Europe sometime in the future.

1. Glow On by Turnstile (Roadrunner Records)


In all of the 15+ years we’ve been together, I don’t think there has been a single time that Brett has said “I don’t think you’ll enjoy this but…” that I haven’t immediately fallen in love with whatever he’s (not) recommended. This time, it was Glow On by Turnstile. Glow On works incredibly well as a full album, taking you on a journey of deep grooves, dreamy synths, syncopated beats, and powerful riffs. But you can also dip in and enjoy listening to any one of the songs on its own. There’s some kind of alchemy happening to make the different hardcore and crossover elements all work together and I just could not get enough of it. It seems that Turnstile have not only elevated their own sound but have also altered the landscape of hardcore. A truly extraordinary album that I think we’ll be talking about for many years to come. 

My favourite EPs from this year include: 
Sick Day by Rest Easy – Short and oh so sweet; featuring members from Shook Ones and Daggermouth. 
Model Citizen by Meet Me @ the Altar – The next generation of pop-punk on Fueled by Ramen; high energy jams from start to finish. 
You’re So Cool by Family Dinner – Grungy pop-punk loveliness. Another great recommendation from Lara.
Hey Tori by Cherym – Full of fun and catchy hooks. 
The Summer I Got Good At Guitar by Fresh – Bright and beguiling.
Blame Game by Beach Bunny – Perfection. A definite future classic. 

2021 is also the year I fell down an internet hole and became a card-carrying member of the BTS ARMY. Blame it on procrastination or the need for distraction, but BTS and K-pop became the second research project I didn’t know I needed. I appreciate that there is a popular group who are openly reflecting on the difficulties of depression and of loving oneself (a topic they partnered with UNICEF on and discussed at the UN General Assembly). They also raised money for BLM, spoke out against (and became an important counterpoint to) Asian hate, and K-pop fans hilariously trolled right-wing Twitter this year (hijacking racist hashtags and inflating the projected numbers for a Trump rally). The K-pop industry (like others) has its problems, but I was struck by the strength and coordination of the fandom in rallying around social justice issues. BTS are also just endearingly joyful and dorky, not to mention the layered themes and imagery they have woven through their music relating to Jungian psychology, class/privilege, and personal success, so don’t @ me.  

I want to end off this year’s list by giving a shout out to everyone at the blog and especially to Colin. Supporting artists and sharing a love for music is a wonderful thing and this blog gives a platform to both. I hope to get out to a lot more shows next year and to give out a lot more hugs, but until then I’m wishing everyone a safe and happy end to 2021 and the absolute best for next year. 

1 comment: