Friday 16 August 2019

Column: Desert Island Punks


Podcasts are cool these days, aren't they? It seems like everyone is starting them. One new one I've really been enjoying recently is Desert Island Punks which is presented by Jake McAllister of Jake And The Jellyfish. On the podcast Jake asks the guest, a member of the punk rock scene, what five records they would take with them if they were stranded on a desert island (they can't be live albums or compilations) as well as a book and a luxury item. So far on the podcast (at the time of writing) Jake has spoken Robin from Random Hand, Ren from Petrol Girls, Ryan Donovan from Red City Radio and producer Bob Cooper about what they would take. I imagine I'm not the only one who has put thought into what they would take with them. I imagine you've started thinking about it just reading this paragraph. I decided, with Jake's blessing, that I would write a column explaining what my choices would be.


Once you're done reading this, make sure you go and check out the Desert Island Punks podcast at all good podcast providing services and check out their Facebook here and Twitter here.

Lightyear – Call Of The Weasel Clan
I figure if I'm stuck on a desert island it's not only important to have good music but it's also got to be a lot of fun. Are there any bands more fun than Lightyear? I've been listening to Call Of The Weasel Clan for so many years now and I'm still hearing new things that I love. It's not only a lot of fun but it's incredibly creative and Chas Palmer-Williams was back then and still is today one of the best songwriters around. There are songs that make me want to dance (great exercise) and there are songs that make me smile (good for the mental health) and songs that are empowering (great for motivation).
Favourite track: Three Basics

Davey Dynamite – Holy Shit
Davey Dynamite is actually the only album on this list that appears on my ‘all time top five list’. It's probably number one. If you don't know, Davey Dynamite is a Chicago based folk punk artist. Holy Shit was released right at the end of 2016 and blew me away from the very first time I heard it. It's raw but not so raw that it's unlistenable. On the album, Davey touches on a lot of different political and social injustices and talks about them in a way that really gets you pumped up. Holy Shit is a really good album to get angry to and let out any frustrations you might have. If I'm stuck on an island by myself, things are going to bubble up in my mind and I'll need something to help explode on occasion.
Favourite track: Gods

Wank For Peace – Fail Forward
I feel like to survive on a desert island you need to remain pumped up and motivated. No album gets me more pumped up than Fail Forward by French punks Wank For Peace. Fail Forward is a ferocious album of fast, raspy vocal hardcore with massive choruses. I very, very rarely ever listen to hardcore music but this album has been a go to since it came out in 2014. Fail Forward will be great for keeping my cardio up as it makes me want to start a one man most pit whenever I hear it.
Favourite Track: Twelve Cheese Sticks

The Johnstones – Can't Be Trusted
In 2010 I broke my leg and that left me pretty much alone at home for a couple of months. During that time I must have listened to Can't Be Trusted by The Johnstones two or three times a day every day. Admittedly this isn't the most PC of albums and in 2019 some of the lyrics could be deemed offensive but I'm stuck all alone on this island until, I assume, I die so offending folk isn't something I need to be too worried about. The Johnstones started life as a fast ska punk band that was all about having the best time possible. As their sound progressed, they took on more of a poppier style which meant that they added some really big choruses and made the songs so much more accessible sounding. The use of three vocalists really adds to the songs, always keeping the energy really high. Every song is an earworm as well, you'll be humming songs all the time – hopefully keeping me reasonably sane.
Favourite track: Right To Say

NOFX – The Decline
Myself and some friends used to play a game called Race The Decline where we would try and get from place A to place B in less time than it takes to listen to The Decline by NOFX in full. This obviously makes this album a sensible choice for a desert island and it will increase productivity. Trying to do certain island life tasks such as building shelter in the time it takes to listen to The Decline for example. The Decline could become my new system of keeping time. I could ditch measuring time in hours, we could advance and begin to measure time in The Decline. My island could become the most forward thinking and productive place on the planet. It's a shame I will be the only one there who will be able to benefit from this new and perfect way of living life.
Favourite track: The Decline

Now for the book and the luxury item. They kind of tie in with one another. The luxury item is a drum kit. I've always wanted to learn to play the drums but have lacked the patience, the room and a sound proof room so I don't have to worry about angering anyone with the awful racket I'm guaranteed to make at the beginning. On a desert island I've got nothing but time to practice, loads of room and I'm all alone so I won't be getting on anybody's nerves. The book will be Drumming For Dummies, obviously to help me learn how to play the drums. When I originally was thinking about what great piece of literature I'd take, I was pretty stuck on what book I could read over and over again. I also thought I could perhaps try and learn a language on the island to kill time but I'm alone so who do I need to speak to? If I learn to drum it would keep me entertained during the times I'm not jamming my records!

This column was written by Colin Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment