Thursday 5 June 2014

Introduction

The first punk album I ever heard was The Offspring’s Americana album which came out on Columbia Records in 1998. I got it as a Christmas present from my mum after hearing the singles Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) and Why Don’t You Get A Job? At the time I didn’t really realise this is what punk music was now. I naively thought that punk music was angry kids with mohawks screaming incoherently down a microphone whilst the rest of the band would play loud, fast, out of time and out of tune. This music wasn’t like that at all, sure it was loud and fast but the music whilst still very simple was well played and the lyrics were fun and catchy. This was a genre of music I could finally get on board with after years of listening to all types without ever getting passionate about any.

Around that same time I began listening to bands like Green Day and blink-182 and from then the likes of New Found Glory, Less Than Jake and Sum 41. However I wouldn’t really say I started my obsession with punk rock until I began college in 2002. I was listening to Steve Lamaqs Radio 1 evening show and he played a song (funny that!). This was one of the greatest songs I had ever heard. The music was upbeat and catchy and the lyrics really hit home with what was going on in my life and were delivered in a style which I loved. This song was Roots by the long running UK ska punk band [Spunge]. Around that time I got my first job and the very thing I did when I got paid was go out and buy their album The Story So Far from Virgin Megastores.

Since then I’ve gone on to collect a massive collection of other 1500 CDs and have many more digital albums.

In November 2010 I finally attended my first punk show. Less Than Jake and Zebrahead were playing in Oxford. I went along with four of my closest friends and instantly fell in love. All my life I’ve felt somewhat like i didn’t belong in certain social scenes. Places like bars and clubs made me feel incredibly uncomfortable but at a punk show I felt instantly at home. Since this gig I have now been to 102 gigs (52 in one year) and it’s safe to say it has gone past a passion and become a bit of an obsession.

The purpose of this blog is for me to give my views on opinions on how punk rock has affected my life as well as reviews on gigs and CDs.

Now listening to: The Menzingers - I Don't Wanna Be An Asshole Anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment