Monday 14 February 2022

Album Review: Rare Instances Of Independent Thinking by I Like Allie (by Lara Roberts)


The first full length from I Like Allie, they began recording this album in 2019 in Milan, and continued through 2020. Due to the pandemic, the band hit a few obstacles during recording and it took longer than planned, but the album was released in October 2021 on Engineer Records (UK), Paper + Plastick (US), No Reason Records (EU), and General Soreness Records (It).


The album itself is an honest exploration of anxiety, depression, peer pressure, and ultimately trying to let negativity go. Opening Number quietly eases the album open, layering vocals with a slight crescendo, while bleeding nicely into Your Superpowers Are Stupid. This is a pop-punk infused treat, with more defined guitars and faster drums, and a hint of them pushing through the “standard” pop-punk sound. Loss and regret are covered in the short song How Weak I Can Be – a sweet little love letter of a tune with lyrics that are easy to relate to. The album sways back and forth between classic melodic pop-punk and incorporating new ideas into the mix, calling on the different musical styles and tastes of each band member (eg. Cliches of Love Stories and title track Rare Instances of Independent Thinking). Laura Stevenson lends her vocals at the end of the album, adding a light, ghostly backdrop to Renato’s lead. 

Here’s the thing. I love 90s emo and melodic hardcore, and I really wanted this album to work for me – Jeff Dean engineered the album (who also worked with Samiam, Braid), and Dan Coutant mastered it (The World Is A Beautiful Place, War On Women), which obviously peaked my interest when I read the press kit. On top of that, I adored I Like Allie’s 2016 emo-pop-punk EP The Wounds You Leave, but I can’t help but feel like there’s something missing from Rare Instances Of Independent Thinking, even though I’m not sure what that thing is.

Saying that, I can’t fault the band for trying a new avenue, and experimenting with maturing their earlier pop-punk/pop-emo sound. There is a gentle vulnerability in Renato’s voice that lends itself very well to that early emo sound, and it really does feel like they’ve taken on a lot of influence from 90s melodic emo bands, and looked to merge it with their own.

Stream and download Rare Instances Of Independent Thinking on Bandcamp here.

Like I Like Allie on Facebook here.

This review was written by Lara Roberts.

No comments:

Post a Comment