Tuesday 25 August 2020

Album Review: Blood Orange Moon by Frankie Stubbs (by Chris Bishton)


Disclaimer: When I asked Colin if he wanted me to write something on Frankie Stubb's Blood Orange Moon EP, I knew full well it was really just an excuse for me to gush about how much of a Godlike genius he is. So you've been warned... if you don't think he (and Leatherface) should be worshiped at an altar, you should probably stop reading this now. 
 

I grew up listening to and watching Frankie and Leatherface. Even though they were from Sunderland, way up north and a city that seemed a millions miles from me in London, they gigged so much. It felt like they were playing the capital all the time.

I remember seeing them all over town, often with their cohorts Snuff. From small pubs in Finsbury Park to big clubs like the Astoria (RIP). I saw them at The Venue – literally next door to CPRW's favourite the New Cross Inn – and I remember the day I first bought a copy of Mush, THE defining Leatherface album, from Reckless Records. I wanted a copy so bad that I bought it even though they'd lost the sleeve. I paid £1.99, rather than £4.29. I played it to death. I still do.

So, now here we are *cough* some years later and it's been far too long since Frankie put out a record. Apart from his previous 7 inch, My Heart Is Home, a couple of years ago, it's almost 20 years since his self-titled 10 inch. Admittedly, Leatherface got back together around the time his first solo record came out and they then proceeded to put out several albums over the following years, but he was then on hiatus after they split for a second time, working a regular shift work job.

Yet, despite this, mention the name Frankie Stubbs to people in today's scene and he still seems to be as well known and popular as ever. Everyone seems to be familiar with those raspy vocals, very often alongside such beautiful lyrics. Could he be labeled the earliest adopter of "gruff punk"? I'd argue so.

Therefore, it's no surprise the new EP has been so popular. The record, released on Little Rocket in the UK and Rad Girlfriend in the US, sold out its first pressing and a second pressing is already on the way.

It's a collection of four acoustic songs – three new and a fourth that's a reworked version of Leatherface's Shipyards. All four are exquisite. The first track is I Liked Being a European. Just from the title I knew I was going to love this. Soft, just Frankie's voice and guitar, with backing from his old Leatherface mate Graeme Philliskirk on guitar. It's acoustic, so is obviously delicate, but it's still raw and unmistakably Frankie.

The middle two tracks are the aforementioned Shipyards and the title track, Blood Orange Moon. These are just Frankie on his own. Shipyards was always one of Leatherface's gentler, stripped back songs, but with this new version it's just him and the guitar, not even the piano is there anymore and it's stunning. Blood Orange Moon itself is a little faster (but not much) and is similarly graceful. The last track is Jimmy Jesus. Graeme provides backing guitar again on this and it's just another wonderful, signature sounding song.

A few years ago Frankie played Pouzza in Canada. He's also played Punk Rock Bowling in Las Vegas. This year he was meant to play Hamburg's Booze Cruise and was considerably high up on the bill – another measure of the high regard he's still held in – and I was particularly gutted to be missing that festival. I also listened to an interview with him recently where he revealed he still has at least an album's worth of material that he'd worked on with Dickie Hammond, but at the moment, and for obvious reasons, he's not ready to think about releasing that.

Given all this, I hope it means there's still more to come from Frankie N.W. Stubbs. I hope he knows how many will still buy his records and come to his shows. I hope he knows how many still love him. And I hope I get to see him play again.

Stream and download Blood Orange Moon on Bandcamp here.

This review was written by Chris Bishton.

1 comment: