Thursday 23 August 2018

Top Tens: Paul Smith's Top Ten Be Sharp Shows at The New Cross Inn


2 years ago I started working full time for New Cross Inn after putting on Be Sharp shows at NXI every couple of months since 2012. Katy, the previous event manager, decided to move on and suggested I apply for her job. I wasn't convinced, as it was my hobby and I only did it to have fun and help out my mates with tour dates, and I didn't want to end up hating promoting.

Needless to say, it's been a pretty good couple of years and I don't completely hate the music industry (yet).

It was pretty hard to limit the best gigs to only 10, but here they are:

24th August 2016
Authority Zero w/ DropThis, Triple Sundae, Cereal Box Heroes, Fat Randall


Authority Zero are one of the best live bands on the planet and tear it up everytime they play NXI. 4 completely different punk bands supported, but it worked so well. DropThis brought the heavy (at their last ever show, RIP), Triple Sundae brought the melodic, CBH brought the pop and Fat Randall brought the skate. Sick show.

4th February 2017
Popes Of Chillitown w/ King Punch, Call Me Malcolm, The Pisdicables and tons more


My old mate Dave and myself share a birthday, support Spurs and love ska punk. So we put a ska punk gig on for our birthday. This was a very self-indulgent gig that we booked together for ourselves. We're not that popular, so it was quite the surprise that 250 people turned up to have an absolute time. Classic all dayer with all our pals' bands and all of the friends. Shout out to C-RAGE for the poster in Tottenham colours too. Sick show.

28th April 2017
Chewing On Tinfoil & Popes Of Chillitown w/ Unknown Era, Millie Manders, The Boom


This was just one of those gigs where everything came together. Popes always kill it at NXI, so I was able to book a couple of out of towners (for once). Unknown Era from Nottingham and The Boom from Derby were both incredible, and got a wonderful reception on their New Cross debuts.
About a month before the gig, Chewy got in touch asking if I had something they could jump on as they were in town supporting Choking Victim the night before. After deciding it'd be a good idea to stick them on at 11pm as an afterparty band, it just exploded. Chewing On Tinfoil & Popes Of Chillitown. Crikey. Sick show.

21st July–23rd July 2017
Level Up Fest #1
The Filaments, King Prawn, Big D And The Kids Table, The JB Conspiracy and tons more


If you visit this website, you're probably aware of Level Up so I'll spare you the details. A ska punk weekender where Be Sharp, Fishlock Promo and El Topo Bookings join forces to put on the ultimate party. I first saw the 3 headliners when I was a nipper, across various shows in 2001. 16 years later, I'm involved with putting them all on the same festival. Still stunned we pulled it off. Sick show(s).

4th August 2017
Pears w/ Great Cynics, Darko, OAHTN, CBH, Eat Dirt


That time Be Sharp, Umlaut Records and Kick The Crutches went up against Rebellion and the Pennywise / Teenage Bottlerocket gig across town and won. Everything was against us, but the place was packed and Pears played one of the best sets I've seen at NXI or anywhere. Also, it was the first time Eat Dirt announced themselves to the scene with a blistering 15 minute set at doors. Now I can't get rid of them. Sick show.

25th April 2018
The Bennies w/ King Punch, Just Say Nay, Paul The Kid


For a couple of years I've been trying to book The Bennies. I knew it was a good idea, as did Summers, who is their European tour manager. Eventually the stars aligned and we had an absolute rager of a Thursday night party. I lost count of the amount of times people told me it was about time they got to NXI. Sick show.

25th May 2018
Goldfinger w/ The Bottom Line


The gig of dreams. After spending most of the early 2000s watching Goldfinger play sold out shows at The Astoria and Brixton Academy, some kind of miracle occured and I booked them for a pub in South East London. It sold out in a day and was Be Sharp's finest hour. The sickest show.

12th June 2018
Pkew Pkew Pkew w/ The Burnt Tapes, Our Lives In Cinema, The Run Up


Mark from OLIC text me to ask if I'd book Pkew x3 should the opportunity arise. I said sure. As debut UK shows go, this was one of the best. Triple figures sold in advance, much to the disbelief of the band, and it was one of my favourite DIY gigs ever. The band are the sweetest guys I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. And me and Mike had a wonderful time with them at Penge Wetherspoons, introducing them to gin palace and the 'spoons app. I miss them. Sick show.

20th–22nd June 2018
Polite Riot Fest
Teenage Bottlerocket, A Wilhelm Scream, Apologies I Have None and tons more


AKA the punk rock Level Up. Another co-pro with Umlaut Records and Kick The Crutches – and what a weekend this was. Every band killed it. TBR played NXI for the first time since their last minute word of mouth appearance in 2011 and AWS were on another level. So many amazing bands and friends all weekend. Proper wholesome fest. Sick show(s).

22nd–24th July 2018
Level Up Fest #2
Lightyear, Random Hand, David Hillyard & The Rocksteady 7, The Toasters and tons more


Level Up 2, bigger and better than ever. Random Hand's first London show in 3 years, The Rocksteady 7's first ever UK show… and Lightyear. How good were Lightyear? This weekend was full of pure joy and absolute madness and was even better than the previous year. Already looking forward to Level Up 3. Sick show(s).

Like Be Sharp Promotions here to keep up to date with all of their latest shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment