Friday 14 July 2017

Future Classics: An Introduction


After a recent conversation it dawned on me that it's been over twenty years since punk rock exploded in the 1990s. I won't explain the explosion here because the chances are that if you're reading this you know the story. If you don't, you are on the Internet, Google the film One-Nine-Nine-Four and that will explain all that you need to know. So many albums from that period of music are now considered classics. That got me thinking about something. What albums from this era of punk rock will be considered classics in twenty years time. It's naïve of me to think that there will ever be a punk explosion like there was in the 90s again. That was a special and unique time that will probably never happen again. That's not me saying that the music isn't as good, that couldn't be further than the truth. It's just that we have so much more music available whenever we want to hear it due to the Internet, streaming services such as Spotify, Bandcamp and Soundcloud, and social media, such as Facebook, Twitter and all of the wonderful blogs that exist.

My thoughts lead me down a path of thinking a great feature for Colin's Punk Rock World would be a "future classics" section where I take a look at albums released since 2010 that I think will be deemed classics in twenty years time. I took to Facebook to firstly ask the CPRW team for suggestions of who they thought what they thought would be a classic in twenty years. I then took to my personal Facebook page and asked my friends what they thought. These questions lead to some very interesting answers. A few that I had thought of myself, many that I hadn't and some that I'd never even listened to. This got me thinking some more. I couldn't possibly claim that an album I've never heard before is a classic and many people might disagree with my own choices. So I've come up with the idea of making a long running series of posts where I, the CPRW team and a series of guest bloggers suggest their own choice for a future classic.

If you have a suggestion for an album released since 2010 that you think could be a classic in the future and wish to write about it please get in touch here: hello@colinspunkrockworld.co.uk

We look forward to hearing your thoughts on Future Classics of punk rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment