Tuesday 19 July 2016

Art of Punk: Drew Millward


Drew Millward is a Northern England-based drawer of pictures and creator of wonderful pieces of art. Originally from Coventry and having lived and studied in Leeds for several years, he now lives in the Aire Valley, in Yorkshire – which I, personally, hadn’t heard of before but looks stunning in Google images.

Drew is a little different to the designers and illustrators that I’ve featured in Art of Punk previously in that you could argue that most of his work isn’t so punk rock related. But the pieces that he has created within the world of punk rock are amazing and so well worth a share. Well, absolutely everything he has created is amazing but I’ll at least start with the punk stuff…


Drew has such an incredible illustration style, combining vibrant and eye catching colours with geometric shapes and lines. Themes of his artwork more often than not include robots and/or industrial-style machinery – think War of the Worlds or Studio Ghibli (Howl’s Moving Castle and Laputa: Castle in the Sky in particular) – plus animals and elements of nature. There’s definitely inspiration drawn from where he lives, as Yorkshire is a place of both industry (past and present) and nature. His work is so, so unique and I can almost guarantee that, even if you haven’t seen his creations before, you’ll remember his style after this… and I hope you love it as much as I do too.


I’m the proud owner of a 2016 Manchester Punk Festival hoody with his awesome skull design on the back of it. It’s almost a shame that the design was only produced in black and white – I know, I know, printing costs for the DIY festival (I understand) – as it would look even more awesome with the colour palette of many of Drew’s other illustrations applied. That said, I guess black and white is pretty standard 'punk'.


If you like what you see, check out Drew’s shop where you can pick up a new piece of art for your bedroom wall or maybe a t-shirt with an original design on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment