Tuesday 21 March 2017

Album Review: Starting With S by Spoiler


Spoiler are a melodic skate punk band from Toronto, Canada. Influenced by 90s Fat Wreck and Epitaph Records (who isn't?), last year they released a three song EP named Starts With An S. As is often the case, I'm quite late to the party on this one but it's a party I'm glad that I eventually found.


Interestingly all three songs on the EP begin with the letter S, the first being the track Snooze. It starts out with an alarm clock noise before launching into some energetic skate punk that really reminds me of old school Lagwagon, with lead vocalist Scott channelling his inner Joey Cape. The song is about the joy of snoozing before getting up and dealing with the world - something everyone can appreciate. The second track is named Something More. With that title I'm sure you can have a good guess and what the song is about - feeling stuck in a rut and wanting more from your life. The guitars on the track are very busy and technical whereas Scott's vocals do a great job of supplying the melody. This makes for a very interesting sounding song that got me listening to it over and over again. Lastly we have Summer. Musically there is much more of a modern pop punk sound to start the song. It's an uplifting song about enjoying the summer and how the season has an ability to help you forget about all of the misery in your life. It made me think about all of the fantastic summer memories I have and how much I also enjoy the summer. Most of all this song really made me smile!

Starts With An S is a short and sweet EP that really does a great job of introducing you to what Spoiler are all about. It's a bit of a throwback sound with a modern twist, drawing from great influences without feeling like a complete rip off. If you love Lagwagon then I have no doubt you'll love Spoiler.

Stream and download Starting With S here: https://spoiler.bandcamp.com/album/starting-with-s

Like Spoiler here: https://www.facebook.com/SpoilerSkatePunk/

This review was written by Colin Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment