Friday 18 January 2019

Album Review: The Subjunctives by The Subjunctives (by Emma Prew)


The Subjunctives are a three-piece from Seattle, Washington, who play hook-laden pop punk tunes. In true pop punk fashion, their debut (or at least what the band describes as their first ‘real’ recording) self-titled EP, released at the beginning of the year, is 6 tracks in 12 minutes – short and fast. Despite its brevity, I loved this EP by The Subjunctives from my first listen. Here’s why…


Opening the EP with pounding drums, fast paced guitar riffage and soon a steady pop punk bassline, Pass It On wastes no time in getting things going and showcasing what The Subjunctives are all about. It’s upbeat, it’s catchy and those harmonies in the chorus – so good! Pass It On is a feel-good tune about having a great time and trying to pass that feeling on – which certainly works in the form of this song. ‘Pass it on, try to let go.’ Next up is a song called Girl Ghost. The speed is upped a notch for this one as the band tear through a tale of a ‘little girl ghost’ who haunts guitarist and vocalist Ean’s house – at least in the song, perhaps also in real life. ‘Little girl ghost you're the audience of one, Little girl ghost I hope that you like my new song.’ Girl Ghost is short but fun song. It also has its own video to visualise the tale and you can check it out here (the clip at the end of the song makes more sense if you watch the video). Kicking off with a lovely slice of bass, Anastasia is the title of the third song of the EP. As soon as the vocals hit for this sweet, snappy power pop song, I am reminded of a specific band – R.E.M., from their early days. Now I know there are probably plenty of specifically more pop punk comparisons I could make (Hüsker Dü for example, who the band mention themselves) but, for me, that’s what I hear. And besides, I love it either way. Things switch up about halfway through the song and the power pop turns shreddy for a rocking outro. Great stuff!

Having not paid attention to the titles of the songs the first time I hit play on this EP, I instantly took a liking to the fourth track thanks to its opening lines. ‘Some girls like to go to parties others like to be alone, Some girls like to stay up late others like to stay at home.’ By the time the chorus hits and I realise this song is both about [a] and titled Introverted Girl, I’m well and truly sold. Why? Because I’m an introverted girl and this song celebrates introverts like Isabella (the girl in the song) and me. Quit is the longest song of the EP, although it’s still less than 3 minutes in length. It also has less of a pop punk feel to it than some of the other tunes but that’s okay because it’s still great. The highlight of the song has to be its chorus with the combination of two vocalists exchanging lines – plus I love a good nautical metaphor. ‘You’re grasping, you’re flailing, Your ship's left, it’s sailing, The captain is bailing, Now.’ The short, fast pop punk style returns for the final song, Rotate. This is, I think, the first song I’ve ever heard that talks about the rotation of the earth. The Subjunctives use this theme to create their own kind of lively love song. ‘Eight more hours would rotate you back around the world to me.’ Sadly the song is over before you know it, as is the EP, but it’s ever so easy to hit play again.

It’s not often I listen to an album or EP and can instantly think of what I’d write in my review, if I was to review it, but that’s exactly what happened with The Subjunctives. I loved it and I want you to too!

Check out The Subjunctives on Bandcamp and on Facebook now.

This review was written by Emma Prew.

No comments:

Post a Comment