Monday 18 November 2019

Album Review: I've Made A Terrible Mistake by Our Souls


Leicester's Our Souls have become a firm favourite of mine since I was sent their debut EP, I Might Drink Myself To Death, at the beginning of the year. Clearly not a band to rest on their laurels, the five piece are already back with their next release – another EP, titled I've Made A Terrible Mistake. I Might Drink Myself To Death was packed full of melodic gruff punk that hooked me straight away. Would I've Made A Terrible Mistake do the same?


The EP opens with To Wound And Wander, Destitute. The track gets the EP off to a blistering start, greeting the listener with some up tempo guitars – immediately getting you pumped up and ready for the vocals to come in. When they do come in, be ready to shout along with a fantastic song about over analysing things and the toll it takes on your mental health. The song really comes alive during the chorus, it's one that will take up a quick residency in your brain and you won't be able to help but sing this to yourself all day long. There's also a great moment during the track where Our Souls deliver a great harmony section that had me salivating at the mouth. The second track, 12312341 showcases the harder side of Our Souls that we haven't heard before. I must admit this took me a little bit of getting used to as I wasn't really expecting it. It's a powerful and aggressive song about being fed up with something and just not caring about it anymore. The song is relentless throughout and will really get you fired up whether it's with a head bang or a full on mosh.

The third track is named Histrionics. Going back to the more melodic style and featuring a delicious bass line in the introduction, this is Our Souls showing the side of themselves that made me fall in love with them in the first place. Fist-in-the-air, sing-alongs and lyrics that look at looking back at the mistakes you've made and continually make, how they affect your life and whether or not you can learn from them. The penultimate song is titled Mental Health. When I read the track listing for I've Made A Terrible Mistake, this song instantly stood out. Mental health is a very big and important topic around a lot of modern punk rock and I'm always keen to hear more songs on the subject. Our Souls sing about the constant battle with your mental health issues. On the track, it's as if they are in conversation with their mind and are basically agreeing to do all the things that you shouldn't do when you're struggling. I really liked this different take on the subject. Last up is Beer Bullet. We were lucky enough to be asked to premiere the video for Beer Bullet on CPRW a few weeks ago, so hopefully you've already heard this track. It's a short hardcore song oozing with venom. I believe the song is about struggling with a drinking problem and finding it hard to quit. It's a short and catchy track that addresses a serious issue.

Our Souls continue to write seriously great songs. If I'm being 100% honest, I definitely prefer the more melodic stuff but the harder stuff is great too. If Our Souls continue to release such great tunes on a regular basis, I'm sure they will have more and more people talking about them.

Stream and download I've Made A Terrible Mistake here: https://weareoursouls.bandcamp.com/album/ive-made-a-terrible-mistake

Like Our Souls here: https://www.facebook.com/WeAreOurSouls/

This review was written by Colin Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment