Thursday 19 September 2019

Top Tens: Top Ten Bands That Grew On Colin


Sometimes it's not always love at first listen when you first discover a new band. You can enjoy a band but not quite understand the hype around them. Then you have this moment where something clicks and you fall in love. I'm sure that everyone reading this will have multiple bands where this is the case. Here are my top ten bands that grew on me.

Against Me!
Don't Lose Touch from Searching For A Former Clarity was the first Against Me! song I ever heard and I really didn't get the hype around this band. Then I heard Sink Florida Sink on a Rock Against Bush compilation and I still was unsure. Then I was randomly listening to a punk radio station on iTunes and We Laugh At Danger And Break All The Rules came on and I loved it. Then I went onto YouTube and discovered the video below and was hooked on this band. The raw passion and energy that the band has, as well as this incredible connection with their fans, really won me over.


Crazy Arm
The first time I ever listened to Crazy Arm was when they supported Lagwagon and Useless ID at the Islington Academy in North London. I'd gone to the gig for a night of skate punk music and didn't really understand the folk/Americana inspired punk rock band that was opening the show. I didn't see them again until a few years later when they played a Manchester Punk Festival after party and I was blown away by this incredible live band that people adored.

The Interrupters
I think I was always a little slow to get into The Interrupters because I just felt like they were only having the success that they were having because of the backing they had received from Rancid's Tim Armstrong. Then I heard 2018's Fight The Good Fight and I finally gave in and decided they were a fantastic band in their own right. Since that album was released, I've been fortunate enough to see them live a couple of times and am amazed by how tight they are.

Jaya The Cat
The first time I saw Jaya The Cat was at a Christmas all-dayer at The Underworld in Camden around 2012 time. I'd gone along for the whole day as I was a fan of all the bands that played before them but hadn't ever heard of Jaya The Cat. Because it had been a long day of fantastic bands I was exhausted by the time that Jaya The Cat took to the stage so didn't really pay them much attention and decided to leave early. What a mistake that was! The next time I saw them I got completely hooked on their boozey reggae punk and they had a fan for life.

King Prawn & Lightyear
I'm combining UK ska punk legends King Prawn and Lightyear in the same entry because I began to understand why there's so much love for these bands for the same reason. I first listened to both bands when they had both split up, after hearing they were both giants of the UK ska punk scene. I appreciated why they were so beloved but they didn't really connect with me. Eventually both bands reformed for some reunion shows so I got to see them live and, my gosh, they then hit me like a punch to the face – but a lovely, this-is-incredible punch to the face. Easily two of the best live bands to ever come out of the UK punk scene, whose influence is still apparent in the current crop of UK ska punk acts. I'm so glad they chose to reform so I could experience the love that so many people had before me.

NOFX
It wasn't until I heard 2003's The War On Errorism that I really got into NOFX. Perhaps somewhat controversially, it remains my favourite NOFX album. When I was first getting into punk rock music, obviously NOFX were one of the first bands that I listened to. At the time, it just wasn't for me. I wasn't ready for the snotty vocal or the more adult subject matter. I just wanted my punk rock to be catchy and about girls. Then Errorism was released and I was drawn into the artwork and decided to give it a chance. I'm glad I made that decision as I loved it from the moment I heard opener The Separation Of Church And Skate. This was the moment I moved on from MTV pop punk and really started to become, what I thought was, a proper punk rocker.

Not On Tour
When Not On Tour were announced in a headliner slot at this year's Manchester Punk Festival I was a bit confused why. I'd seen them previously and thought they were decent but didn't think they'd really fit as a headliner. How wrong I was! They were one of many people’s, including my own, highlights from the festival. Not On Tour have become an incredible live band over the years, combining a first class musicianship with an unmatched stage charisma. There was something about their set that I couldn't look away from. I came away from that set just completely wowed.

Revenge Of The Psychotronic Man
I first became aware of Manchester's Revenge Of The Psychotronic Man after discovering TNSRecords through bands such as Faintest Idea and Stand Out Riot. They played really, really fast thrash punk, a style of music that I've never fully got on board with. Then I saw them live, again at an MPF after party. I was amazed by ROTPM. I don't think I've ever seen any band connect with a crowd in a way that I'd never witnessed before and am not likely to again. ROTPM were a one of a kind band that are dearly missed despite being broken up for less than a year.

Triple Sundae
I feel a little bad including Triple Sundae on this post as they're a band that I'm pals with but it wasn't until they released Peace Of Mind that I really got on board with them as a band. I had enjoyed their previous releases but it was Peace Of Mind that really clicked with me. It showed such a step up in all areas of the band and established them as one of the most exciting new bands in the UK. Since then they've managed to top Peace Of Mind with latest EP Glow. Things are going to be very exciting in camp Triple Sundae over the next year.

This top ten was written by Colin Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment