Tuesday 17 September 2019

Album Review: Hexed by The Hallingtons


I've been a big fan of Norway's The Hallingtons since hearing their 1-2-3-4 Songs EP back in October of 2017. I don't think that it's a big secret that I adore Ramonescore pop punk music and that's something The Hallingtons excel at. I enjoyed that EP so much that I asked The Hallingtons if I could use their song Library Girl on our fifth anniversary compilation album which we released back in June. In August, the three piece released a brand new six track EP, on the always brilliant Monster Zero Records, titled Hexed. I couldn't wait to have a listen to it.


Hexed starts out with Jesus Freak. Straight away The Hallingtons are flying the Ramonescore colours proudly with that familiar sound. That familiar sound should welcome any fans of the genre but who are yet to hear The Hallingtons to the club. It's very easy to get on board with. The track is about someone who appears to be a very dedicated Christian but they are being drawn away by punk rock music. Up next is the fast paced Pretty Neat. Despite the relentless speed that the song is played at, Pretty Neat is really catchy and will firmly find a place in your brain immediately – and you will soon be singing, humming or whistling to yourself so often you will annoy anyone around you. The track is about worshipping somebody who doesn't think much of you. Something every high school nerd can probably relate to. The lyric halfway through that goes "I think you're pretty sweet I think you're pretty smart, but you look down at me like you just smelled a fart" had me smiling like a ten year old.

Not My Deal sees a bit of a shift in tone. It sees The Hallingtons take on a more serious topic as they address their hatred towards fake people. The song is much moodier sounding as they ditch their fast paced fun-loving style for a more melodic sound. There's a great use of harmonies throughout Not My Deal, something the band do very well. I don't think you can be a great pop punk band without having great harmonies. On the surface the fourth song, Doo-Doo Brain, is a bit of a silly song but listening deeper to the lyrics it's actually a track attacking the idiots in the world ruining it for everyone else. As you might expect, it's another stupidly catchy song that you'll be singing uncontrollably with a stupid grin on your face. You'll probably get on some folks nerves but you'll have a great time doing it. The addition of some clapping on the song’s big ending really added another fantastic element to the song – a bit of a 60s rock 'n' roll sound.

The penultimate song is named The Witch, where the EP's title Hexed comes from. It's a spooky love song about falling in love with a witch who eventually puts a nasty spell on you. There's a lyric that goes "the witch, put a spell on me, now I am a real sickie" that I wonder if it's a nod to fellow Monster Zero Records and Real Sickies? I hope it is. This is another really fun song that will have you grinning from ear to ear. The final track on Hexed is titled She's On Repeat. This is another song that just seems like a bit of nonsense when you first listen but, when you think about it, She's On Repeat is a song about having a nagging girlfriend who spends a lot of time repeating themself for better or for worse – depends on the reason they're doing it, I suppose. I love the simplicity of the song and how it still manages to have a subject despite basically just being a long chorus and a bridge. I can't decide if this is genius or lazy songwriting but either way I loved it.

I'm a big lover of this kind of music and I am a big fan of bands that sound a bit silly on first listen but actually have so much hidden depth in their music when you really take the time to listen. The Hallingtons are one of Europe’s finest pop punk bands and should, without a doubt, be on your radar if you enjoy any form of pop punk music.

Stream and download Hexed here: https://thehallingtons.bandcamp.com/

Like The Hallingtons here: https://www.facebook.com/hallingtons

This review was written by Colin Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment