Thursday 13 June 2019

Top Tens: Top Ten Songs Colin Discovered On Compilations


You may have heard that CPRW are releasing our first ever compilation album tomorrow (June 14th). I've loved compilation albums since I first started to discover punk rock. I'm sure most people of a similar age to me first started to find many of their favourite bands through cheaply priced label comps in the late 90s and early 2000s. This is how people found new bands before the days of Spotify playlists. For this week's top ten I've decided to put together a list of ten of my favourite songs and bands I discovered through various comps.

Authority Zero – Revolution (Rock Against Bush, 2004)
The Rock Against Bush compilations brought some of the biggest names in punk rock together as Fat Mike attempted to rally the punks together to fight back against George W. Bush's presidency. One band on the compilation that really caught my attention was Authority Zero. Lead singer Jason DeVore's voice really captivated me and he remains my favourite vocalist to this day.

The Briggs – Media Control (Vans Warped Tour Compilation, 2003)
Media Control by The Briggs was one of my first adventures into the world of street punk. I had absolutely no idea what Joey Briggs was singing at the time but the energy of the track just swept me away. They've remained one of my favourite bands ever since hearing Media Control on a Warped Tour compilation released by Side One Dummy Records in 2003 and it makes me sad that I've never seen them live.

Alkaline Trio – Jaked On Green Beers (Atticus… Dragging The Lake, 2002)
I was already well aware of Alkaline Trio before hearing Jaked On Green Beers on the Atticus… Dragging The Lake comp in 2002 but this instantly became my favourite song of theirs. To this day I'm not really sure what it is about the track that makes it stand out from Trio's massive back catalogue of classics but, whenever the topic of what is the Chicago legends' best song comes up, this is always my go to song.

Mad Caddies – Road Rash (Fat Music IV: Life In The Fat Lane, 1999)
Road Rash by The Mad Caddies is a classic in the word of ska punk. I first heard it on the Fat Wreck Chords compilation Life In The Fat Lane and I instantly became a huge Mad Caddies fan. It's such a fun song to dance like a lunatic to – those horns at the beginning of the song are among the most recognisable in the genre. This isn't your standard ska punk song though, also having elements of polka and dixie music – squeezing everything in during just over two minutes of madness.

The Apers – Almost Summer (AMP Pop Punk, 2005)
The Apers were perhaps the first mainland Europe band I ever heard, first discovering them via the song Almost Summer's appearance on a pop punk compilation for AMP Magazine in 2005. At that point I was completely ignorant of punk rock music being from anywhere other than in the UK and United States so to discover this band from Holland playing this blisteringly quick breezy pop punk music was very exciting for me and it opened my eyes to so many fantastic Ramonescore pop punk acts from the mainland.

Less Than Jake – Gainesville Rock City (Craig and Ian Mix CD, 2003-ish I guess)
This wasn't strictly a compilation but more of a mix CD my best friend and his brother put together. The song that stood out the most for me on the CD was Gainesville Rock City by Less Than Jake, who would go on to become my all time favourite band. I love a mix CD to this day, they're such a great way to show people new bands and music. It's the same with playlists in these modern, non-shiny disc days.

The Distillers – I Am A Revenant (Punk-O-Rama 8, 2003)
Punk-O-Rama 8 was the very first of the legendary Epitaph comps I ever got my hands on. Shame on me, I know. The very first song on that compilation was I Am A Revenant by The Distillers. At that time, I had no idea of Distillers lead vocalist Brody Dalle's relationship with Rancid's Tim Armstrong. I just found this ferocious punk rock band that got stuck in my head. This may have been my first ever time listening to a female fronted band and it really opened my eyes to such a thing happening and being really, really good.

Edna's Goldfish – Veronica Sawyer (Moon Ska Europe Label Sampler, 2000)
When I was first getting into ska I was only really aware of the big three – Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Then I stumbled upon a compilation in Virgin Megastores with the word ska written in big bold letters on the cover. I picked it up and noticed that it had featured LTJ and The Bosstones but also a load of bands I'd never heard of with some very interesting names. Edna's Goldfish were track number one on the compilation and I was instantly hooked. What a great voice Brian Diaz has. Veronica Sawyer has become such a favourite in the ska scene that Reel Big Fish still cover this song every now and then.

Slapstick – There's A Metalhead In The Parking Lot (Mailorder Is Fun, 1998)
Slapstick are a band I've become much more of a fan of long after they split. The chaotic style of their ska sound you could argue came much before their time. There's A Metalhead In The Parking Lot first came to my attention on the cult favourite comp Mailorder Is Fun, released by Asian Man Records in 1998. I'm sure you already know that Slapstick members went on to form Alkaline Trio, The Lawrence Arms and The Falcon.

Mustard Plug – You
It isn't just compilation CDs that you discover great new music on. There was a time where you could do the same with VHSs and DVDs. I discovered You by Mustard Plug on a DVD named Punk Rawk Show that I picked up in HMV. Of all the videos on the DVD it was You by Mustard Plug that stuck out and they have remained one of my favourite bands ever since.

Our massive 125 band compilation album comes out tomorrow. Check it out here. Hopefully you find some new favourite bands and songs on it.

This top ten was written by Colin Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment