Tuesday 23 April 2019

Album Review: Conviction, Vol. III: The Road To Clarity by Jason DeVore (by Emma Prew)


As a reader of this very much punk themed blog, I probably don’t need to explain to you who Jason DeVore is. You probably know him better as being the frontman and leader of reggae meets skate punk rockers Authority Zero rather than for his solo material, mind you. I certainly do. However, as a huge lover of his songwriting and his incredible voice in particular, I was more than happy to check out his third solo album, Conviction, Vol. III: The Road To Clarity, which was released in March on his own label Operation Records.


The Road To Clarity opens with a song called I Hate To Say I Told You So. Some gentle acoustic guitar sets the tone for what’s to come – or does it? Gentle it may be but it’s certainly not simple as there are multiple overlapping melodies on offer here. DeVore’s distinct vocal are unstrained and simply stunning. This feels like an opening track as the pace and volume builds slowly throughout. Things pick up after the one and half minute mark however and by two and a half minutes the song is pretty fast paced, ensuring that you get your head nodding. The song is about staying strong despite what difficulties you may come up against in life. ‘Gotta move on, gotta keep on, gotta be strong, hey, hey. Gotta get on, gotta hold on, gotta go on, hey yeah.’ Up next is an acoustic re-working of the Authority Zero song When We Rule The World from 2017’s Broadcasting To The Nations. I absolutely loved that album so it was a pleasant surprise to hear a song I recognised from it on this release. I mean, if you’ve listened to Authority Zero’s R&B III live acoustic album then you’ve actually already heard a similar acoustic version of this song although this one is stripped back even more. It’s a great song though and fits in well on The Road To Clarity.

You know sometimes when you listen to a new album for the first time and there’s that one song that really stands out to you on your first listen? No matter how many times you listen to the album, you keep coming back to that one song and declaring it your favourite? For me, on this album, it’s Choke. As one of the longest songs on the album, it builds and builds throughout its duration from a simple acoustic track, to being accompanied by piano, to a pure gang vocal singalong that just fills me with so much joy. I love it so much. I think the song is about struggling mentally whilst being a touring musician and just trying to get through each day as best you can. I wish I had the full lyrics to read in depth as they’re so good. As if there wasn’t enough emotion packed into the previous song, DeVore somehow has even more to fit into this next song, Vertigo. It’s beautiful and heartbreaking both in its lyricism and melodies. Similar to Choke, and perhaps overall themes of the album in general, Vertigo talks about fighting life’s demons but trying to find the positives in the darkness. ‘So hold my hand, Don’t you leave me alone, I’ll hold my breath ’til I choke on my own, Words that will never quite make their way back, Back to the place where your heart turned so black.’

The Road To Clarity (Here Here) is the fifth song of the album. There’s a simple, soothing and warm acoustic guitar melody that repeats throughout the song. I also feel like I could lie down, close my eyes and let Jason DeVore’s deep voice sing me to sleep… but, not yet, we’ve got the rest of the album to listen to! I think there’s a violin on this song although it might be piano, I’m not entirely sure. Either way, it’s lovely. The song reflects on the fact that you only live once so try not to worry about the things you can’t change – ‘There’s never going to be a second chance, We’re not meant to live in fear.’ I don’t know if there’s a vinyl version of the album but this track brings side A to a close very nicely. Up next (on side B) is a song that I could quite easily imagine as an Authority Zero tune, Another Song Of Freedom. I suppose that might be because it is a bit of a political and/or protest song with a clear message about standing up for what you believe in. Despite its stripped back nature, the song has plenty of groove. Plus it encourages you to get up and – ‘Sing with me, Another song of freedom, Through the night ’til sunrise, Oh come on and dance with me, Until it’s taking over, Raise your voice and play.’

Black And Blue is stripped back Jason DeVore at his best. He’s an amazing storyteller and he really doesn’t hold back on this song. It’s honest, passionate and really pulls at your heart strings. At just under six minutes long, this is no short, fast punk song but not a single second is wasted. ‘With my heart on my sleeve, And the world at the tips of my fingers, When there’s nothing to believe in, And all that you have loved you’ve now lost, And you’ll replace it with everything, Everything you can think of. That’s when it hits you, Only then will it hit you, You’re black and blue.’ Starting out quietly, eighth song Who’s Side Are You On eases you in gradually. The vocals increase in volume as the song progresses, with the guitars remaining very soft for much of the song. Who’s Side Are You On displays a series of questions throughout its duration, seemingly directed at the listener. ‘Are you lost in the world? Are you living day to day? Are you wondering? Yeah, I’m wondering just the same. Have you had enough of it all? Are you sick and tired of being sick and tired? What more can I say?, Who else can you blame? Who’s side are you on?’ DeVore’s songwriting, in this case about seeking purpose in life, will no doubt connect with so many people.

The penultimate song of The Road To Clarity is called Whiskey And Roses. Here we have an almost ballad-like track. It’s hugely nostalgic, reflective and is perhaps even the ‘love’ song of the album. For the most part, Whiskey And Roses is one man and his acoustic guitar for a very personal song but in the chorus there are some subtle harmonies that bring another dimension to the track. It’s just superb. Finishing things up is a bit of a boot-stomper if there ever was one. I’m struggling to find the right words to describe just how Are We Too Loud sounds – it’s unlike anything else on the album that’s for sure. The song is very much all about the vocals, while the instruments set the rhythm and backbeat – which will be drilled into your head, by the way. It’s super bluesy, methodical and a little bit intense. The song wouldn’t sound right placed at any other point on the album. It’s an ideal closing track.

Yes, The Road To Clarity is an acoustic album but that doesn’t mean it’s lacking variety, far from it. It just goes to show what an incredible vocalist, lyricist and musician Jason DeVore is that he can create stripped back songs such as these and yet keep each one sounding fresh and different. I am honestly a little bit in awe of this man. Conviction, Vol. III: The Road To Clarity is excellent.

You can buy, download and stream the album from the various places listed here. You can, and should, also like Jason DeVore on Facebook.

This review was written by Emma Prew.

No comments:

Post a Comment