Thursday 25 October 2018

Top Tens: Ten Books Colin Would Like To See Written


Ever since I got my Kindle a few years ago I've become a bit of a reading machine. Along with fantasy and comedy books, I really enjoy reading books about punk rock. I've really enjoyed reading Tranny, Punk Rock Dad, So This Is Ready, Gainesville Punk, How To Ruin A Record Label, NOFX: The Hepatitis Bathtub & Other Stories and many more. Some of these book have been real eye-openers into some of the history of punk rock. It has got me thinking about more punk rock books and stories I'd like to learn about in more detail. I've put together a list of ten books I'd love to read. Of course some of these stories might be deeply personal and I would never suggest that these books need to be written, I'm just saying that if these people were willing to tell their story I'd be very interested to read. Also, if these books have been written already please send links my way so I can check them out.

The UK Punk Scene in the 2000s
I know that the chaps in Lightyear are currently making a documentary about the punk scene in the UK in the early 2000s but I'd love for there to be a book on the subject as well. You can go into much more detail with a book. My, like many people my age, first introduction into proper DIY punk rock in the UK was through bands like Lightyear, Capdown, King Prawn, [Spunge], 4ft Fingers, Phinius Gage, Whitmore, Jesse James, Adequate 7, No Comply, Captain Everything, Consumed, Vanilla Pod and many more bands that are still much loved almost twenty years later. I'd love to learn about how that scene came together and ultimately faded away.

James Bowman of Against Me!
By now we all know the story of Laura Jane Grace. But I've always be interested to hear what her best friend and guitarist of Against Me! James Bowman's take on it all. Obviously what happened was game changing not just for Laura but all of Against Me!. It could have been the end for Against Me! which is Bowman's livelihood. It's also discovering that your best friend has been keeping this massive secret from you all these years and dealing with all of the emotions of these impending changes, knowing things will never be the same again. That's a side of the story I'd be interested in hearing.

Streetlight Manifesto vs Victory Records
Fans of ska punk will no doubt be well aware of the lawsuit between New Jersey band Streetlight Manifesto and their former label Victory Records. The band and the label had a poor relationship for years and years which eventually resulted in Streetlight's leader Tomas Kalnoky getting sued by Victory. I'd be interested to learn about what actually went on and the strain that must have put on Kalnoky's life and whether or not it affected his love for music.

An Idiots Guide To Running A DIY Record Label and Putting On DIY Shows
The bigger that CPRW gets the more I communicate with DIY labels and promoters. I've always been interested to learn about what goes on and just how much hard work goes into it. How you go about doing it and, ultimately, is it really worth doing it?

Mike McColgan of Street Dogs
Mike McColgan seems to have lead a very interesting life. In the early 1990s he served for the U.S. Army in the Gulf War, he then became a founding member of the Dropkick Murphys, recording one album before leaving to become a fireman and then becoming a full time member of the Street Dogs. The man has lived a very interesting adult life, that is for sure. I'd love to hear his stories from being in the army and the fire brigade, his thoughts on starting the Dropkick Murphys and whether he ever felt any bitterness towards them as they started to take off and whether he felt any pressure for the Street Dogs to have some success because of what the Dropkick Murphys had become.

Derrick Johnston of Make-That-A-Take/Tragical History Tour/Uniforms
I don't think there's anyone I respect more in the UK punk scene than Derrick "Deeker" Johnston. He's a member of bands such as Joey Terrifying, Shitgripper, Uniforms and his acoustic solo project Tragical History Tour as well as running Make-That-A-Take Records. The label that not only puts out records from the best of the Scottish punk scene (and beyond) but also puts on loads of shows and the legendary Book-Yer-Ane-Fest. He's a man that has put his whole life into supporting the punk scene and helping to make it a better place. In his life he has had to slay some demons but seems to come out the other side as the embodiment of everything I think the UK punk scene should be.

The Origins Of Band Names
Punk rock bands have long had some of the most interesting names. I'm sure, like me, you've always wondered why a band has picked a particular name, what the origin is, whether it's an in-joke, were there other options, do they regret it? Imagine if a load of bands got together and contributed to a book with all the information you could possibly want. I'd read that.

Punk Rockers Against Mental Health
Mental health is a subject that is being discussed more and more by punk rock bands and this is a good thing. I think it would make for a good book if someone collected pieces from people in the scene talking about their experiences with mental health. I feel like a book like this could help a lot of people and give more exposure to the topic of mental health. The more it's discussed the less of a taboo it comes.

Ryan Greene
Ryan Greene is an American music producer who played a massive part in shaping the 1990's skate punk sound that is still loved today. In Motor Studios in San Francisco, he worked on albums with legendary bands such as NOFX, Lagwagon, No Use For A Name, Propagandhi, Good Riddance, Pulley, Me First & The Gimme Gimmes, Strung Out, Nerf Herder, The Dickies and many, many more. I can only imagine the stories this man has about creating history.

Ryan Young of Off With Their Heads
I forget how many times I've claimed that Ryan Young is the best lyricist of his generation. So many of his songs are so heartbreaking but also so cathartic. It seems like it would be an incredibly sad book but also a must read to get an insight into those lyrics. I would also love to know more about the formation of Off With Their Heads, what it's been like having a rotating cast of members and the highs and lows of being in that band.

This top ten was written by Colin Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment