Wednesday 4 October 2017

Album Review: Our Lives In Cinema by Our Lives In Cinema


Our Lives In Cinema is one of the coolest band names I've heard in a while. They are a five piece pop punk/post-hardcore band from London who try to remain optimistic in a difficult time. On the 15th of September the band released a brand new three track self-titled EP on Deadly Foe Records.


The EP begins with the song Cut And Run. The thing that stood out to me most on my first listen of the track was the speed that the vocals are delivered. Even reading the lyrics along with the song I found it difficult to keep up, though admittedly that could just be my slow reading speed. I loved the tempo of the track though, energy just pours out of the song and keeps you listening keenly throughout. What else could you want from an opening track? The ending of the song features some excellent layered harmonies that I really want to see performed live. Cut And Run is about realising you are in a bad relationship and stepping away from it for your own good. Next up is I'm Drunk And None Of This Is Real. Don't let this put you off but this track actually reminded me a bit of My Chemical Romance, back before Kerrang made them the poster boys of emo/pop punk and they just became a terrible gimmicky band. Basically I'm talking about the first album I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love. The musical charisma that garnered MCR (as the trendy emo kids nicknamed them) mainstream attention is on display on this Our Lives In Cinema track. If you absolutely hated MCR please don't let this description of I'm Drunk And None Of This Is Real put you off the song - this is a first class pop punk song that immediately grabs your attention and keeps you interested throughout the whole track. There seems to be a lot going on throughout the whole song, it is busy but at no point does it feel cluttered. Every time you listen to it you'll probably hear something new. Finally we have I've Got This. Beginning with some riffs that just make you want to dance before the fast paced vocals come back in. How it's possible to sing so fast always amazes me. If I even try and talk fast it doesn't make any sense. I enjoyed the differences in tempo and melody for the verses and choruses. It's a little thing that most people wouldn't normally pay attention to but I like the structure that the changes give to the song. I've Got This is about all the dramas that happen in somebody's life and trying to convince yourself and/or your loved one that you've got everything under control. The song kind of reminds me of The Offspring's The Kids Aren't Alright where they talk about the issues people around them have. Our Lives In Cinema take a similar approach and it just makes the song even more relatable. Great stuff.

This EP was a great surprise. When I was told it was a pop punk EP I was a little sceptical on it as a lot of the pop punk that is being released these days isn't that great. This EP is. Our Lives In Cinema have a fantastic sound. It's a maturer pop punk sound. The pop punk kids of today will love it and so will us late twenties, early thirties punk rockers who grew up in the initial breakthrough of pop punk in the 90s and early 2000s.

 Stream and download Our Lives In Cinema here: https://ourlivesincinema.bandcamp.com/album/our-lives-in-cinema

Like Our Lives In Cinema here: https://www.facebook.com/Ourlivesincinema/

This review was written by Colin Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment